Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
car is a taurus 2003 ses
my cars engine runs but car won't move. I was accelerating from a stop up a slight hill and the car suddenly stopped having power to the wheels and there was a higher pitched sound coming from the engine. The rpms go up when hitting the gas but it just wont go anywhere. It doesn't move in any gear, reverse, drive, 1, all of them act as neutral it seems. I recently started the engine again and I can rev up the engine in park or drive to about 3000 rpms and let off the gas it lets off a sort of rattling sound. I can attach a video if requested. I did an ob2 scan with a bluetooth ob2 scanner and Torque and none of the codes seem to be related to it. I think a few were left over from when I had to replace a coil pack. I cleared it and 2 codes came back pending a p0300 (cylinder misfiring) but went away. and another code that I forgot was but didn't seem to be related to the problem. I can check again tomorrow what it was
anybody know what is wrong with my car? is it a part of the transmission that broke or something? thanks in advance to anyone that replies. this place has been very helpful

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sounds like pump shaft and/or torque converter splines are stripped. Seems to be common with Taurus.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm no tranny expert, but from what I understand, a faulty range sensor will at least give you something in the way of movement as in slipping gears, hard shift, etc. Would certainly run a diagnostic to eliminate that as a possibility before tearing into the tranny.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check your transmission fluid with car off, it should be well above the hash marks. Start the car and check level, if it is still well above the hash marks the pump isn't pumping and it is most likely the pump shaft splines have worn and not engaging the torque converter like Sheila said. Just curious, I have an 03, how many miles on your bull?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did the test today and it came back as the transmission fluid being the same with the engine off and on. thanks for leading me in the right direction.
is this a job that I can do myself? what parts would I buy from somewhere like rockauto? anything else I should replace also while doing this? my transmission seems to have a stall/rough shift on 1st or 2nd sometimes also before this happened

Check your transmission fluid with car off, it should be well above the hash marks. Start the car and check level, if it is still well above the hash marks the pump isn't pumping and it is most likely the pump shaft splines have worn and not engaging the torque converter like Sheila said. Just curious, I have an 03, how many miles on your bull?
about 138,000. I'm unsure about the history of the car what all work has been done on it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Big job, need engine support. I believe there is a new and improved pump shaft for this problem so if you could find a shop who would replace torque converter and shaft only then it would be a cheaper route than replacing whole unit if money is tight and that is indeed the issue.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Don't try this without a transmission jack, very heavy transmission and engine support as stated above.
Need to drain the transmission, remove the half shafts from the hubs then from transmission.
Starter and support bracket along with driver side strut with hub. Then you need to drop the
lower boxed frame that supports the engine and transmission.
Not too bad, just need good wrenches, jack stands that will give you enough clearance or block them up. You will need a few days to do it. Goes back together easier.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,415 Posts
car is a taurus 2003 ses
my cars engine runs but car won't move. I was accelerating from a stop up a slight hill and the car suddenly stopped having power to the wheels and there was a higher pitched sound coming from the engine. The rpms go up when hitting the gas but it just wont go anywhere. It doesn't move in any gear, reverse, drive, 1, all of them act as neutral it seems. I recently started the engine again and I can rev up the engine in park or drive to about 3000 rpms and let off the gas it lets off a sort of rattling sound. I can attach a video if requested. I did an ob2 scan with a bluetooth ob2 scanner and Torque and none of the codes seem to be related to it. I think a few were left over from when I had to replace a coil pack. I cleared it and 2 codes came back pending a p0300 (cylinder misfiring) but went away. and another code that I forgot was but didn't seem to be related to the problem. I can check again tomorrow what it was
anybody know what is wrong with my car? is it a part of the transmission that broke or something? thanks in advance to anyone that replies. this place has been very helpful
It's most definitely the torque converter, it's notorious in the 2003 model year. It is I recommend getting a Daaco Converter, most often is recommended OEM, but in this case the Daaco is very much above the Motorcraft one.. The spline in the Daaco is much sturdier than the Motorcraft which is basic a welded washer. I had mine replaced a few years ago and it runs excellent!

·
Registered
23,876 Posts
It's most definitely the torque converter, it's notorious in the 2003 model year. It is I recommend getting a Daaco Converter, most often is recommended OEM, but in this case the Daaco is very much above the Motorcraft one.. The spline in the Daaco is much sturdier than the Motorcraft which is basic a welded washer. I had mine replaced a few years ago and it runs excellent!
Fwiw, Dacco...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts