Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh:good morning taurus land,
i have a problem that i hope can be easily solved. Here's my problem the tach jumps up and down. I changed out the plugs as part of the tune up since i have over 82,000 miles and replaced them with plugs that are gapped. Everything was fine for a while then i noticied when idiling the tach whould jump up 1 notch then go back down, so then the engine light came on and it took the car to autozone and had them check it out. Autozonecame back with 3 codes for possible reasons why this happened and they are PO174,P0301,P0171 i am not sure how to proceed so that's why i turn to my bull family for help. I'm sure someone has experienced this type of problem b4 pls help.

·
Registered
22,433 Posts
Po171/174= eng. lean both banks. I would search for a vacuum leak, esp. around the pcv hose and the imrc (intake manifold runner control). It's that black plastic thingy on the rear pass. side of the intake. For the po301 (misfire cyl.#1), I would check/replace plug wire(s) and/or coil. #1 cylinder is located pass. rear. You may have inadvertently just disconnected or broke a vacuum line during the plug change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot sheila, i was thinking that i need to replace them all since i replaced the plugs. The only reason i didn't was i was told that usually the only time you replace the wires when they become damaged or worn out they weren't arcing or anything i thought they were still good and would last a lifetime. How silly do i feel now? I will replace the wires and you mentioned the coil is it possible to replace just a coil or is it the entire pack.

·
Registered
22,433 Posts
On your vulcan eng., it's the entire coil pack. May want to find that vacuum leak(s) (po171/174) prior replacing more ignition parts. Might also spray clean the MAF sensor's 2 small filament wires with CRC maf cleaner (gray can).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
wjc
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing