Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I had 3 teeth on the Cam Synchro(Vulcan 3.0 OHV Non-Flex) ground off :curse: and the Oil light on, now I don't know when the light came on but it was on at most for 15 minutes and at least 8 when I noticed it. Long story short, after much mucking around and replacing the Cam Synchro and shaft(shaft was not seized, neither was the oil pump) I'm pretty sure my engine is fried. Lots of clacking noise form the top end and on Monday I started it to what sounded like a hammer being smashed into the block repeatedly. I shut the car off and took the wife's vehicle to work. (I'm pretty sure the term "eminent catastrophic engine failure" would have applied if I had tried to drive it.)

I'm looking into getting a crated refurb/rebuilt long block and was wondering if anyone has ever bought one and had any suggestions or recommendations?

I know getting a new OEM long block is the best route but my wallet is not that fat, so it's not an option, I literally can not afford it. I'll be having the switch done by a mechanic, but I'd like to order the engine myself.

Coincidentally can someone tell if these engines had the rollers or not? (Pretty sure not, but most of the refurb sites have one with rollers and one without, not looking to supe the car up, just get it working again.)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
He is correct. I would even be willing to trust one with 150k+ miles as LONG as I could hear it before I bought it. If it sounds good, just buy a gasket & seal kit, replace them all before you put the motor in, fresh oil, and let it rip! That's what I did (minus the gasket & seal kit, too broke) and my car is working great again. My dead motor had a SEVERELY blown head gasket and I drove it overheating for at least a good half mile, so I decided a motor was a better idea than just trying to fix the head gasket even though it ran after that and sounded fine minus the water shooting out of the tailpipe. I didn't want to risk a cracked head and I didn't have money for machining the heads properly. I already had the engine, so it just made the most sense even though it was a PAIN to change, and I found out I had the VAPS rack the hard way (literally, it has MINIMAL power steering without the proper plugs).

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
They've been roller cam since '93, possibly '92. You can use any ym from '86 to '07. There are only minor differences through out the years. Block and head configuration, basically the same through out. Just a matter of changing some sensors, maybe the upper/lower intake, and exhaust manifolds. Front cover, from '96/newer can be used because they have the magnetic timing pickup dealie AND the actual timing marks, as well as a cam synchro instead of a dizzy. I've got an '07 engine in my '93.

·
Registered
562 Posts
plus if you get a complete engine replacement you can grenade the one that's in there, that's always good for some entertainment :)

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
plus if you get a complete engine replacement you can grenade the one that's in there, that's always good for some entertainment :)
Not if you throw a rod through the casing and damage the transmission housing. (You can't get your core transmission charge back if that happens...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts