Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Engine Rattle At 4k Rpms

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dbfruth 
#1 ·
I've had this problem with my 2000 Sable with the vulcan for a while but it has gotten worse lately. There is a rattling coming from the lower part of the engine on the passengers side. It sounds like its just behind the glove box. It makes my engine sound awful I hate this sound and I have no idea what it is. The car doesn't have to be under heavy acceleration, it just always happens at around 4k rpm. Any ideas?

#2 ·
QUOTE (FunkyShaf @ Jun 2 2010, 06:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808802
I've had this problem with my 2000 Sable with the vulcan for a while but it has gotten worse lately. There is a rattling coming from the lower part of the engine on the passengers side. It sounds like its just behind the glove box. It makes my engine sound awful I hate this sound and I have no idea what it is. The car doesn't have to be under heavy acceleration, it just always happens at around 4k rpm. Any ideas?[/b]
Does it happen when you're at high load, too? Check your front right motor mount (which would actually be the pass. side rear) If it's busted, your motor could be popping up to the point that it's putting tension on your ground strap to your firewall, allowing vibrations to pass through to the cabin. Also, could be an exhaust leak out of your rear manifold.

#3 ·
My 2000 Taurus is doing this too... mine varies with engine load.

There is a sweet spot, and I can vary the throttle and have it rattle more or less. Doesn't make any noise at idle or full load - just at mid throttle at lower speeds like 35 - 65.

If I didn't know better I'd say it was a specific engine knock from one cylinder but it's not quite the same - kinda like marbles rolling around in a cage.

But no, not a bearing either... I'm stumped.

#4 ·
QUOTE (jon_herr @ Jun 4 2010, 05:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809379
My 2000 Taurus is doing this too... mine varies with engine load.

There is a sweet spot, and I can vary the throttle and have it rattle more or less. Doesn't make any noise at idle or full load - just at mid throttle at lower speeds like 35 - 65.

If I didn't know better I'd say it was a specific engine knock from one cylinder but it's not quite the same - kinda like marbles rolling around in a cage.

But no, not a bearing either... I'm stumped.[/b]

From what you're describing it sounds like one of the cats has come apart inside the casing and would cause the marbles in cage sound you are hearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.