Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I am really stuck here and ask for some input. I am a taurus owner all of my time owning cars, from my 89 which was my first car, to "Bob" my 92 that rolled the odomerter over three times to my 97 GL with the 3.0 and AX4N which was an AWESOME setup and is still ticking with over 300k miles on her. My question is about my 2000 model though. I am from Minnesota, and I was on my way to Oregon. About half way here I blew my head gasket or head. I had motor oil in the coolant, mud like. I had no other option, and I knew i could get another engine, so I drove it the rest of the way liteally using a flush kit at every gas stop, and changing out the oil so it would still lubricate. Here is my problem:

I cant find a decent replacment having the flex fuel option. Mine is Vin 2.

there are a TON of vin U engines for sale for good prices and low mileage.

Is it possible to do a swap and put the vin U in this car instead of the vin 2? It looks like the wiring harness are all the same and will plug into the sensors. I know I could no longer run the ethanol in it. Can i do a direct swap? or even if I have to put sensors from one car to the other, can I do this and have a running car? please let me know. I am stranded and desperate. the current engine made it here, but is DEAD. a replacment is my only option, and i can do one physically. I just need to know if I can but the gas engine in here, if it will hook up and what it will take. the nearest good flex fuel engine is hundreds of miles from me. there is a gas engine here in town with low mileage and it runs great. im bolting it to the axode/ax4s tranny. will that matter, do I have to make sure the donor car has that tranny as well. please, PLEASE give me some insight. This car is to good to scrap

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay, so virtually you're saying if i take the intake plnum and everything attacted to it, i can put any vulcan engine in here? I was looking at other 2000 model years. if I can do this without too much trouble that will open up my possibilites. I do, however, just want to get a suitable engine in here that i can run without to much trouble. The intake on the flex looks IDENTICAL to this on the standard gas vulcan, just differnt part numbers on sensors...

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The differences are pistons, computer, a sensor or two, and the fuel system. A vin U engine will swap in no problem. The intake manifolds are the same. You'll probably have to swap on your stock exhaust manifolds because of the SAI (secondary air injection) system. Other than that, it shouldn't have many (if any) hangups. You'll also get a slight bump up in compression with the U engine. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok guys, thanks for the insight. I have the option to buy a 2007 with 49k, or a 2005 with 18k, both bolted to a ATOD. I get that I am to swap everything that does not match up side by side. I have the old engine out fo the car now and on a rack, to me mileage is more important than year. Both cars have only been on the lot there for a couple of months; would you guys recomend the older car with the lower mileage? it reads 017845, and is in much better shape than the newer car with higher mileage. Thank you for all of the help everyone. I just want to make sure I get this right. Do I need to buy the exhaust manifold off of the donor car as well? they do definately look different. seem to bolt up the same and be the same length. - just different in-between. thanks. I can do this as far as sitting them side by side. just seeing i i will need anything above and beyond the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 30 2009, 08:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736101
I'd go lower mileage for sure, mine had approximately 9,000 on it. The exhaust, I don't think I'd worry about buying them, just reuse yours, they are gauranteed to work. That way you won't have to modify anything trying to get newer manifolds to work, same with the upper and lower intakes. Sounds like you've got it handled very well, good luck.[/b]
Okay, then thats the plan. Use my exhaust, as well as my upper and lower intake. i'm going to get on it. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts