Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a question on my mind for a while that I am wanting to get an answer to. Why doesnt Ford or anybody else make like a 2.3 liter v8 or maybe a 6.4 liter 4 banger. Wouldnt u get more power and efficiency from a small displacement and large cylinder count engine or vice versa?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The complexities of a very small displacement V8 would make the parts extremely difficult, and hence, expensive to manufacture, and reliability would be an issue. At one point, F1 engines were V8s that were below 3 liters (and might still be, I don't follow F1), and while those engines are incredibly powerful, they're insanely expensive to manufacture.

As far as large displacement four cylinders, many industrial applications feature insane displacement, but they're usually diesel engines, as the increased weight of the components means that you can't really spin the crankshaft up to a high enough speed to make much top end power. Many ships that have diesel engines have straight engines with 16 cylinders and displacements measured in tens of cubic meters. They also only spin at 90 RPM. Also, packaging a large displacement inline engine is difficult, hence, why straight 6s have fallen out of favor. The old Ford 4.9L straight 6 was one of the best motors EVER, but it's too big to fit in the engine bay of most cars and trucks nowadays. Imagine if the displacement of that engine was increased by 25%. The size and weight would be unmanagable.

JR

1 - 2 of 2 Posts