Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I must say i finally got my taurus running MINT WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT> I can say now that im an official taurus 1st and 2nd GEN expert. EExp the 3.0L hehehe. I still don't know how to rebuild a tranny though. WELL i retarded my engine till it stopped pinging and i was left with 8 degrees timing and the noise went away thank god. (it was horrible) But this bring my attn to the newer taurus owner with the newer 3.0L Ive heard that it is a distribitor gear that drives a Sensor if this is the case it should be adjustable right I mean if you take it out there must be some alinement procedure? Im not familiar with the way is set up but i want to help someone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for anyone who wants to know what was up with my taurus heres the scoop don't laugh also you'll hurt my feelings j/k

Well it all start when i was board i put a newer intake on my car from a 91 newer i wanted the throttle return springs and such i got it working with the trany with the TV cable and everything. then month later My tranny took a crap and i sent it out to get it repaired. Got it back and it was great except it was in the middle of winter and i had a pinging from my engine i got scared adjusted the timing and removed the resistor in the IAT sensor. Well guess what it was still there. So i was being scared at the time i then replaced the TFI module thinking it had something to do with it and nothing still there then i replaced the PIP module and the dist gear. well that didnt take car of it not to mention i had a backfiring problem also at the time so i thought this was related. I then starting to check the timing and i found that the timing chain was loose as a goose then i replaced that thinking i found the mother of all my problems. I then started it and the backfiring was gone but now i had this mysterious no cold start and idle searching. SOOO i replaced all sensors one by one even though they checked out. I MEAN this is EEC-IV there is no data in the scanner i got soo i replaced everything cause this thing was running rich and stalling I replaced the IAC gaskets and everything This engine on the outside IS FORD NEW. EXCEPT THE DAMN DISTRIBUTOR is was quality NAPA parts YEA RIGHT but there i went to the junkyard and found a brand new DISTRIBUTOR from ford in a Tempo 3.0 Then i found out the motor was new also and robbed every part on it. BUt the DISTRIBUTOR was the first to go in and guess what the problem disappeared it is now the 4th day with no problems at all except it uses oil hehehe but if you got the magic ghost of problems don't forget the DISTRIBUTOR it is a magical thing in there and don't scimp in parts you only pay in the long run. This taurus is my pig and i experiment on it a lot and i need it to run right plus it is my winter car with a autostart on it It has never left me stranded as s***ty as it ran for a while.

PS the original RATTLE was the 2 throttle brackets rubbing and they eventually rubbed apart making a rattle a loud one at that. AS soon as i figure out on how to post pics i want you all to see this vulcan i want you all to see a new motor in a 87 Taurus.

PSS WHy is it that i have a LX taurus without a check engine light and i finally saw another LX wagon in the scrap yard and it had one???? WHy not mine?? Wagon different for some odd reason?I pulled it tough and mouned it in mine. FOr some people want a check engine light off i wanted it on how wierd.

PSS I also REWIRED the whole engine bay form a 1990 Taurus I also removed the HEated windsheid Option (bummer) i got an autostart anyways BUt um if anyone needs 1987 taurus LX 3.0L computer ICM or the heated windsheid Module i have one just let me know

B

·
0 Posts
The newer, DIS Vulcans use a cam sensor in the location where the distributor used to be. Moving this is not a good idea, it controls the timing and firing of the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i mean if you adjust the cam sensor to retard the spark timing it wont fire prematurely Ping is usually cause from improper timing carbon buildup and higher engine temps right. If you adjust the timing on the cam sensor too get an earlier spark the ping should go away.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Mar 4 2004, 08:58 AM
it controls the timing and firing of the fuel injectors.
Cam sensor controls the fuel injector timing. Spark firing is controlled by the crank sensor, and the PCM. The IAT sensor, amongst other things, controls timing advance on a Gen 3/4 Vulcan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts