Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I love the site. I was looking for a little help, so here's my story:

1996 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0 Vulcan OHV
60k miles
new plugs and wires at

3 weeks ago, my transmission started leaking substantially. Unfortunately for me the leak was not from the pan but from the seal where the engine and transmission meet. The leak was slow at first, but became substantial so I had the transmission resealed at a local mechanic. After picking it up, the car seems to have developed a ping when accelerating under load. Going from 87 to 89 octane helps some, but there is still some pinging although it is quieter. I haven't tried 91 octane yet. The ping is especially bad at low speeds going up very steep hills but is also noticable when going up a very gradual hill on the highway at 65 mph. Unfortunately, the mechanic doesn't think the problem is related to the resealing of the transmission and won't service the car under their warrenty for the transmission service (last time I use this mechanic). I put new plugs and wires in at 50k miles so I don't think it's a spark plug/wire problem unless the mechanic fiddled with them for some unknown reason. I was wondering if people had suggestions as to what could have gone wrong with removing/installing the transmission that would result in engine ping or what to check first as a likely culprit. Or, it could be that they are completely unrelated problems in which case I'd still like to hear what people do about ping problems :). Thanks a lot.

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Make sure all the EGR vacuum hoses and electrical connections are in good shape.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
First off welcome to the club!

In my opinion the ping is not in any way related to the transmission service. And owning a 96 vulcan, my car pings under the exact same conditions. The vulcans do not have knock sensors, so it is a normal part of life.

If anyone has other advice, please post it. BUt from experence, the only fix is octane booster, better gas or a reprogramed chip (loss of power as a side affect)

Brad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts