Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 taurus limited just told me the oil life is only 5% left. But there's more than 1000 miles before the next scheduled maintainance (27500mi) according to the manual. How does the computer monitor engine oil life? Do I really need to change the oil soon?:huh:

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
If it's black I would just change it and reset the monitor as usual, as it's pretty inexpensive. If the oil still looks fairly new, then you might consider leaving it for a while. Is it possible that the monitor was reset incorrectly the last time the oil was changed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's black I would just change it and reset the monitor as usual, as it's pretty inexpensive. If the oil still looks fairly new, then you might consider leaving it for a while. Is it possible that the monitor was reset incorrectly the last time the oil was changed?
I'm not sure. I just bought it from a private owner. The last oil change was done by a third party. Gonna have a check. Since it still has ford warranty, do I need to go to a dealer for a oil change in order not to void the warranty, or I can just do it myself?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You can change the oil yourself. It won't void the warranty unless they prove that you used the incorrect weight oil and it destroys the engine catastrophically (ie- pouring in molasses or water). I don't know if there is a way to reset the monitor though. Some cars do it automatically because they measure an electrical charge through the oil while others need the computer scanner to manually reset it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
[approximately 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 6 months] perform the
following:
1. Press the SETUP control to enter
SYSTEM CHECK, then press SETUP
control again to display “OIL LIFE =
XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.
2. Press and hold the RESET
control for 2 seconds and release.
Oil life is set to 100% and “OIL LIFE
SET TO 100%” is displayed.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Not sure on Ford's system but GM's which I have experience in my work truck calculates engine run time. In winter with lots of idle time it will signal change time in approx. 6k miles. In summer it will go 7-8k miles before the light comes on.
In winter weather, stuck in traffic, idle time to defrost, oil changes will come quicker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't like the Ford oil monitoring system because it seems to track mileage and time since the last change. Then whichever forces the quickest change out takes precedence. In my wifes 08 Taurus it has been known to say the oil needed changing when I run full Mobil-1 and it has only gone 4,000 miles, only because it has been 6 months since the last change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.