Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The on board diagnostic is real time so if the cr isn't running the readout is useless. Have you tried to jump the car from another to see if it is a battery issue?

Yeah, tried with a battery pack as well as from another vehicle but it does not seem to make a difference to the time it takes for the engine to kick in.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Regarding the prior comment about the oil pressure light and pump.
The pump is mechanically turned by the engine, not anything electrical.
The low oil pressure light turns on with the first click of the key so you can tell the bulb is good. Brake, battery, air bag, abs and cruise control lights all have this same self check feature.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Regarding the prior comment about the oil pressure light and pump.
The pump is mechanically turned by the engine, not anything electrical.
The low oil pressure light turns on with the first click of the key so you can tell the bulb is good. Brake, battery, air bag, abs and cruise control lights all have this same self check feature.
On the 2006s there is a digital readout of engine status that is in addition to the idiot lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
On the 2006s there is a digital readout of engine status that is in addition to the idiot lights.
Exactly, the readout shows FUEL CAP DATA ERROR, ENGINE TEMP ERROR, LOW OIL PRESSURE and CHARGING SYS DATA ERROR but as soon as the engine turns over it all clears up and shows perfect readings. I usually go through the self check and use that as a timer, once that is done it has sat long enough and usually starts up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Response from NHTSA

Just got a reply from NHTSA concerning their TSB on the matter and have 2 bulletins.

18583: No start/Hard start in cold weather.
Concerns Taurus and Rangers (2005/2006) left on dealer lots over 30 days. Use clear flood procedure in manual. Try start and if fails, turn to off position and wait 10 seconds and try again. If no start then push gas pedal to the floor to shut off gas and try again. If it runs rough turn it off and try again. If no start, wait 5 minutes and try again.

Sounds like what mine does but usually only have to wait 2 minutes for it to kick in after the first failed attempt. There have been times when the gas pedal trick has sped things up and others when it has done nothing at all but I try something new every day and am now up to the point where I have 1 hand through the sunroof and a leg out the drivers window.

10019913: Flex Fuel Long/Hard crank.
2004-2006 Flex Fuel Taurus
Reprogram PCM using WDS release B41.9 or B42.1 and higher. Calibration not included in B42 CD. If using E85 the first start will be long, warm engine before reprogramming. Drive 3 to 5 Miles to allow programming to adapt to fuel.
Says details can be found at Motorcraft.Com

Not sure if this helps anyone but looks like there are no cures, just a method of dealing with Ford failures and hoping for warmer weather quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was there any resolution to this issue? I am getting the same exact message center errors on my daughter's 2004 Taurus DOHC. The OBD2 will not connect. My OBD2 powers on, but cannot link. I checked all the appropriate fuses and relays already. Car just died on her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Engine blew on mine but before it did I found something that seemed to work, mostly.

Mine always had this issue when cold or damp. I found that cycling the ignition 5 times seemed to get the engine kicked on but it stalled after a few seconds but would instantly start again and run normal. I played around a little more and found leaving the key in the ACC position for 30 seconds made it start and run almost every time.

I don't know if there was a wire exposed that needed to be warmed up to remove moisture or if fuel pump had to warm up. Almost acted like a Diesel at times but until the engine blew it worked almost every time.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
7 Participants
B Man
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing