Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a 93 Taurus GL with the 3.8L engine. Today when she got home, she said the check engine light was coming on. She told me that the light came on when she put the AC on. I looked and she had no Antifreeze, which I proceeded to refill. So I turn the car on and the AC. Something made a horrible noise. I turn the AC off and the engine runs fine. When I go and turn the AC on again, the engine nearly stalls. The noise seems to be coming from around the power steering pulley. I do know the AC pulley is directly below that. Is there something I can do to fix the problem (aka not replace the AC) or is it past help?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If it runs OK without the A/C but stalls when the A/C is called for I would guess the A/C compressor is damaged and froze up.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I agree. It sounds like the compressor is siezed, and when the A/C clutch disengages, the A/C pulley stops, and the serpentine belt is slipping over the A/C pulley.

To check, open the hood and turn the car on. Have your sister sit in the car and turn on the A/C. Watch the A/C pulley, and see if it stops rotating when the A/C is turned on.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this something easily replaced by a novice do-it-yourselfer, or should I just tell her to use the 4-80 AC (4 windows down @ 80mph...)?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The compressor needs replaced. This requires that the A/C system be vacuumed out, compressor replace, A/C filled and a new belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts