Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's on the car (front mount) looks just like the picture of a new one on internet, no sagging, no cracking. Is it okay then?

The top anchor strut (torque strut, top engine mount, or dog bone) is shot. I just want to know if I have to replace the engine mount as well.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
If it looks fine and no excessive rocking of the engine, it should be fine. The older models don't have the torque strap.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I have read many posts here on engine mount replacement. The posters said their engine mount was "shot." If an engine mount is shot, does it get visibly deformed? I am not sure if their diagnosis was based on engine movement or visible deformation. But I remember someone saying that if the dog bone is damaged, it's because the engine mount is damaged. It makes sense.

I cannot check engine movement right now because the car is partially disassembled. That's why I am asking this stupid question. Thanks.

My dog bone is "shot": the rubber is cracked and a large piece is missing.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
iirc, the engine mounts are filled with a fluid. Most failures occure when the mounds start to leak the fluid.. I'm pretty sure it was the e-mounts that were fluid. :headscratch:

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. So engine rocking test seems to be a more reliable way to spot a worn-out engine mount. As soon as I am done with the repair, I will do the test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts