Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Engine "missing"

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  rank 
My 3.8 was missing recently and I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and it fixed the problem. I'd definitely look into replacing them especially if they haven't been changed in a while. Just an FYI, good luck.

Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Mar 17 2004, 01:05 PM
Rather than start up a new thread, I've been thinking of doing a tune up on the 3.8l as well. It just seems that the spark plugs (especially the rear bank) are REALLY tough to get to.
When my brother and I just changed my plugs/wires, we had them done in less than 2hrs taking our time. At first glance, they look impossible, but they're not really that bad. The main tools you need other than rachet and spark plug socket are an extension (about 3in long I think) and a boxed end wrench for leverage on the rachet. The furthest cylinder to the left on the back bank (I think it's the #1) is the most difficult so I'd start there. It's hard to give tips on changing the plugs b/c you really just have to do it by inspection. Btw, I had no trouble getting any of the wires off w/o that tool. Good luck with it.

Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Mar 17 2004, 06:31 PM
Oh ok...when you did yours, did you take off any part of the intake or anything like that? I was looking at the back bank a coule of hours ago and I might be able to take the spark plugs from underneath or something...
Nope, I didn't have to remove anything to get to them. I talked to my neighbor (a Ford mechanic/previous owner) about changing them from underneath and he said it wasn't possible. I've never really looked but I bet he's right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.