Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Taurus that has been missing and has become worse as of late. I could originally feel it when cruising on the highway, but now I can feel it for 1/2 second or so when driving under any condition. It stumbles and then recovers before I can react. I have noticed that the tach does not increase so I do not think it is the transmission. No check engine light yet as well. It has 97K on it, anyone have any idea as to what it can be?
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Believe it or not it may just be the battery.....
If the tranny is ELECTRONIC this will happen.
I "HAD" a similar problem in the 97 SHO and was told by several tranny
stores that it had to be rebuilt.
One winters day I went to start the car to just turn it over (sitting until I could come up with cash to fix T)
ane the battery was dead. I went to the FORD dealer and bought the proper battery and to my amazement
the transmission works great. (up until 1 month ago) I sold it and bought a 95 BMW 740iL and a 73 BMW Bavaria.
Miss the SHO THO
Hope they come out with a new SHO in 2010

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
How's the coil pack and the plugs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a check engine light now. The auto zone dude checked it and it threw a P0174. There are so many possibilities from this, where to start? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
P0174 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description

System Too Lean (Bank 2)
What does that mean?

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 2 is generally the side of the engine that doesn't have cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0171, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

Symptoms

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

Causes

A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Possible Solutions

Possible solutions include:

* In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts