Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Ran into an issue this morning on my drive to work. We had rain overnight and it was drizzling as I left for work. Got about 5 miles from home and the car started bucking and had a definite miss. After another mole or two the engine light started flashing. After about a minute or so it went out. Continued onto work and the miss continued, bad at low RPM, not as noticable at higher RPM (over 2000). Light came on 2 more times. Went out at lunch, rain had stopped and sun is out. Hooked up my code reader and no codes. Took it for about a 10 mile drive, no miss. I'm feeling it might be a coil pack, but not sure how to diagnose it. Not sure about taking a spray bottle of water start spraying around things, but what's my alternantives? Car is a 2000 SEL with a 3.0 DOHC, coil packs on each plug.

Thanks John

·
Registered
572 Posts
Carefully inspect the top of each coil-on-plug pack. What you are looking for are hair-line cracks in the epoxy that can let moisture in on damp & rainy days, which can interfere with spark plug firing. Usually these misfiles will clear up once the engine warms up and drys up the moisture. Replace all the coil-on-plug packs if any of them shows signs of cracking. (And while at it, it would be a good idea to install new spark plugs, too).

Check for codes again. You should at least have a pending misfire code of P030x. Once the check engine light stays on solid, that pending code should then register as an active code.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Spray the coils. If a misfire code wasn't set that's the only way your gonna find the bad coil. I found a bad one by accident on my old '00 when I washed the motor. At least I was in the driveway.
You may see hair crack lines or marks on the coils but what you want is the coil that isn't "sealed" unless you willing to spring for all six of 'em.
As prev. said near the 100k mile mark then it's time for plugs.
Don't drive the car misfiring long as you will kill the catalytic convertors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will look into this on the weekend. My thoughts exactly is that it has to be a coil or two. Will probably do them all and the plugs also since it has 150000 on it. Will try the spray test to see if it does act up. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
^+1 on trying the wet down test with a spray bottle of water, also consider doing it after dark, so arcs & sparks are easier to see, with the engine at warm idle & let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Curious minds would like to know how the "wet down" trouble shoot is going?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
pawpaw
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing