Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 with the 3.0 pushrod engine. The car runs fine most of the time then one day it will spit and cough under load...the next day it is fine. Pulled the plugs...looked good, replaced anyway...checked compression 150psi on all 6, replaced the plug wires, fuel filter, and cleaned the maf. All this looked good. Car still backfires or spits(through intake or exhaust can't tell probably intake) either cold or warm at all rpms except idle when under load. feels like a 4 cyl and is not setting any codes. Someone suggested clogged egr ports. The egr valve itself holds vacumn. Any ideas??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible... may try a propane test....all the hoses seem tight and in very good condition. It is almost like the ignition coil fades in and out. No leaks or any obvious stuff with the coil tracking etc.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Coil was my second thought, but i dismissed it seeing you didnt have a misfire code. You could remove it and inspect it for cracks (esp. bottom), obvious damage, corrosion, etc. Also could spray it and wires with water and check at night for arcing. While its off, run it to autozone and have them run primary and secondary resistance tests on it for free. Same with a vac. leak. If left long enough and major enough, it should throw lean code(s) (po171-174).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea.. forgot about the water thing and did not know autozone would test coils. These intermittent problems drive you buggy! Coils usually fail when hot and as you say will set a code. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts