Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy I hope you all can provide me some input. About three weeks ago my engine light was coming on sporadically. We too it to Pep Boys to have them run their $90 diagnostic to see what the problem was. They said it was an Oxygen Sensor Valve (?). Fine, we had that replaced. When I picked it up, I went to get gas. As I was pulling out of the gas station, noticed I had interior damage (irrelevant to this post just wanted to vent) and my check engine light came on again. Back to Pep Boys we went. They called and said that they would run another diagnostic free of charge (gee how big of them) to find out the problem. When we got a call back, the man on the phone said that my second (I didn't know I had two) OSV had gone out and they replaced for free. Fine, went to pick it up. The man at the counter said that the original they had put in was faulty, so they had to replace it. (?) Whatever, as long as it ran w/out the light. After about a week to a week and a half, I noticed the ch. eng. light flickering off and on. Then, a few days after, while on the freeway with my son, my car just died. I mean, I pushed on the gas and nothing happened. Slowly, my car decelerated and just gave out. Had it towed to another shop, since I no longer trusted Pep Boys. So, they tell me that I needed a new starter cellanoid (sp?) and some fuses that got blown. Okay, got those replaced and picked my car up on Friday, Oct 1st. During the weekend, noticed the ch eng. light again flickering and today it once again gave out. Same thing as on the freeway. All the lights come on (oil, engine, battery). I go to start and it does not turn over. Just sounds like when you DON'T want to flood out your car so you stop pushing on the gas. So now, I am p*****. My car was fine until I got the OSV replaced by Pep Boys. Okay, not fine as my ch eng. light was on, but at least it ran and I wasn't scared to drive it. I am sorry this is so long. I am upset, angry and I miss my car. If anyone can provide some advice I thank you...........

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
First of all, welcome to the club...you'll find that there are many here that are very helpful and knowledgeable about Tauri.

I've never heard of an "Oxygen Sensor Valve." Could you elaborate on that one? If you noticed interior damage, you should make sure that you call them and tell them that you noticed interior damage when you took the car back from them, and that you want them to pay for it. They may or may not. I've had very shoddy work done at Pep Boys...I think everyone has (Sorry Sal), and I'll never go there again, except to buy fluids. Autozone will read engine codes for free. You're best bet is to hit up an Autozone, get the codes, and put them up here, and we'll hopefully be able to diagnose the problem and give you some possible remedies.

As for the cellanoid, I doubt that would have anything to do with the original work, although it could if they screwed something up in the electrical system.

What we need to know is 1- What year/make/model, 2- what engine (3.0 Vulcan/FFV, 3.0 Duratec, 3.8 Essex, or SHO), and 3- what codes is the computer shooting out?

JR

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah what he said. Also, you can get codes read at Autozone for free. Post them here, and we'll do our best to help you out.

Just don't take the Autozone guy's word on how to fix it. There's a reason they're selling parts and not working on cars. :)

As far as Pep Boys, it's hit or miss. It really depends on the quality of workers they hire, but in my area they're barely qualified to change a tire, nevermind diagnose a check engine light.

Also, there's no such thing as a "oxygen sensor valve". They may have replaced the oxygen sensor, which is usually the first thing an uninformed person does when the car kicks a code for the oxygen sensor reading lean or rich. 99% of the time, it's not the sensor, but something else that's making the sensor activate the check engine light.

We'll get you squared away, and for a lot less money and aggravation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, new to this. Thank you for the welcome.........

I have a 94 Ford Taurus, I have a 3.0 6.0 cylinder (sorry I don't know if it is a Vulcan or Duratec) and I didn't get the codes from Pep Boys. Is this something I could request next time?.

They called it an Oxygen Sensor Valve. I honestly do no know what that is either. I saw it in my manual last night. Maybe they called it O2Valve? As far as the interior damage, they said they would either "put a screw in it" (had the part but the attachments were broken off) or we could order a new one from the dealership and they would reimburse and put in for free. We got it in writing, then found out that the part is not here in town (Vegas) and they may have it out of town. They are not sure since they said it is an older vehicle. Anyway, they did reimburse for the part plus shipping and handling.

We first had brought it to Auto Zone. THey said they couldn't check it if the check engine light was not on all the time. Mine would come on for 5 or 10 minutes, then shut off.

Our interior part was broken off when they replaced the heater core and had to take out the dash. I am just fed up and broke and aggravated that someone may have taken advantage of me. I am hoping to have it towed to Pep Boys again today and have them check it and fix-no charge. It is well within the 90 days...........I just don't want them taking advantage of me again. Any knowledge I can get from this board I figure will help me with them. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 5 2004, 10:51 AM
As for the cellanoid, I doubt that would have anything to do with the original work, although it could if they screwed something up in the electrical system.
Like he said, unless they messed with your electrical system, more specifically the starter, a soleniod problem isn't their fault. And if the car starts fine, the solenoid shouldn't be a problem at all, as it is part of the starter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not saying that Pep Boys messed with the electrical system. I have a feeling that whatever they did to my car when the ch engine light came on was NOT the problem. That they "fixed" something that did not need replacing, leaving the problem unfixed and in turn causing something else to go. Honestly, the second place which did the solenoid (thanks for the spelling:) ) was recommended by a co-worker. At that time, last Tuesday, my car did not start at all. And the same thing happened today. Not starting....revving but not turning over. So now I am not even sure I needed the starter solenoid at all. But I want to take back to Pep Boys, since the reason I brought it in was the light coming on. And in the past 3 or so weeks, it never really went off completely. Been coming on intermittently.

I just need help.................or a beer........or both. What a day.........

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Your Autozone guys are incorrect when they say that codes can't be read unless the CE light is on. Codes are stored for many engine start cycles.

I took my 2000 LX to Pep Boyz a couple of years back for tire balancing due to a vibration I felt. (Vibration turned out to be a bad tire) They damaged the finish on two of my wheels by using the wrong adapter on the balancing machine. I had to go back -and-forth with the store people (fortunately I have a pretty good relationship with the people at this store) and they eventually had the wheels refinished. It would have been easier and cheaper, I think, to replace the damaged wheels. It took several days to get done too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
just a note check all your grounds you could have a bad ground some where that could act as a bad solenoid... also check the conections on you solenoid... happend to my dad twice whent out replaceing ever valve / sensor and found it to be a lose or a bad ground...

also make sure reset the computer after you install anything... this could help with some computer probs if Pep boys did not reset you computer... (just disconect one of your battery terminals for about 15 min)

also they should still be able to read the code if the light is not on at that time that just means it is a soft code not a hard code (meaning i olnly comes on during certain use)

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Don't disconnect "one of" the battery terminals. ALWAYS disconnect the negative terminal FIRST!!!!!!

I agree to check grounds. Also if they messed with the computer at all make sure the main harness to it is connected securely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't suprise me that the Auto Zone guys were wrong. I thought it sounded strange myself. Also, I want to thank everybody for the their opinions and their help. I really do appreciate any and all suggestions.

Since I know nothing about cars, what is a ground? Is this a wire or something? I just thought with the engine light flickering, seemed like something was maybe loose? But what do I know?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
As for the solenoid problem, if the car doesn't start, then it is most likely the starter and/or the solenoid. It's already a 10 year old car, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's on its way out. My SHO only started when cool, but after warming up and turning it off, it would not start again.
On the SHO, the starter and solenoid are basically one unit, not sure if that's the case with the non-SHOs.
Look to be spending ~$125 for a new (Bosch) starter without installation, maybe ~$80 for cheaper brands. It's not hard to do yourself, so if possible, that's what I would recommend (and that's if the starter's even the problem in the first place).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
97 GreenStreaks, you brought up a good point. Am I being unrealistic in expecting to get another 5 years out of my car? I agree it is old.....actually nearing 11 years.

On the receipt I received from the other car repair shop the starter was listed at $123. This sounds like it would be the starter so maybe they are one unit? The fuses came to $8.00 and the total w/labor was around $216. But like you said in your post, "that is even if the starter is the problem." I seriously need to learn more about cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
97 GreenStreaks, you brought up a good point. Am I being unrealistic in expecting to get another 5 years out of my car? I agree it is old.....actually nearing 11 years.

On the receipt I received from the other car repair shop the starter was listed at $123. This sounds like it would be the starter so maybe they are one unit? The fuses came to $8.00 and the total w/labor was around $216. But like you said in your post, "that is even if the starter is the problem." I seriously need to learn more about cars.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Oct 5 2004, 11:10 AM
As far as Pep Boys, it's hit or miss. It really depends on the quality of workers they hire, but in my area they're barely qualified to change a tire, nevermind diagnose a check engine light.
Geez, in my area they aren't even qualified to do that! A little while ago, someone had new tires put on at Pep Boys, was driving down 95 after just leaving the store, and their rear wheel flew off and ended up going through another car's windshield. Luckily noone was hurt. :blink:

S

·
0 Posts
Well, Im sorry... but Im going to have to back up Pep Boys here. I work there, and I love it. It all depends on where you are I guess.

Nikki333, I would take it back to Pep Boys and get a full refund. This is not exceptable.

Also to let everyone know, Pep Boys Technicians are all ASE Certified. Sometimes thing are mis-diagnosed. Its hard to say... But things like that happen.

I would go back and expect a full refind... It happens at my shop, and thing must be done. I make sure my customer will return to my shop, in a happy mood.

Also, do you have a scanner? This Oxygen Sensor Valve is really questionable. I would like to see a pic of the Invoice. I can help you. I'm part of managment of the Service Department at my Pep Boys. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Your Service Advisor,

Sal

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by nikki333@Oct 5 2004, 12:35 PM
I don't see any reason your car can't last another 5 years. The Vulcan engine you have is one of the most reliable out there, and besides regular maintenance and the occaisional problem, I don't think you shouldn't really be worried. Some things just fail, and you have to replace them. We have plenty of people still driving GenI's around here, not to mention the many more that drive GenII's.

BTW
1st Generation (GenI)---86-91
2nd Generation (GenII)---92-95
3rd Generation (GenIII)---96-99
4th Generation (GenIV)---00-now........

Just incase you didn't know. :D

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Yo Steve...I got a good joke for you...

What do you call a Philadelphia Eagle with a Superbowl ring?

A thief!!!

[/back to your regularly scheduled thread]

JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your input. And thank you Sal for the offer. They just called me back and said now that it is the Fuel Pump and another $400+. AND to top this day off, my car, which was sitting with hazards on was towed by our lovely Metro police department. They were there from 7:40 am til 8:20 am and then towed. Meanwhile I was trying to get a hold of my husband and AAA to tow for me. We have coverage through them. SO, instead, I had to pay $180 to get out of the police impound.

I asked Pep Boys about getting refund for the work that was done originally with the diagnosis then and the Oxxygen valve. They said "no," because I did need one at that time. They said they were "burnt?" They said that a couple things were going at that time including the fuel pump but since it had to be at a certain level before they could read it or do anything, I wasn't told about it.

My husband was looking through the manual to see if he could replace himself, but he wasn't sure. He mentioned something about it being in the gas tank? Or that has to be removed? This has been quite a day..........but I thank you for the advice. And Sal, I have the invoice here. No scanner. I could fax to you if you want. What a day.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 5 2004, 04:57 PM
Yo Steve...I got a good joke for you...

What do you call a Philadelphia Eagle with a Superbowl ring?

A thief!!!

[/back to your regularly scheduled thread]

JR
Week-1
Philadelphia 31, N.Y. Giants 17

But who's keeping count? :p

1 - 20 of 52 Posts