Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets,

In the process of replacing the torque converter and need some feedback on where to attach the engine support bar. I've read some posts on it but didn't find anything concrete. I've even found a Ford service DVD on torrents but the pictures don't quite match what I'm looking at under the hood. The engine in question is a 2000 Taurus Duratec DOHC. I'm including some pix of where I think I can attach some hooks, rings, or whatever. Pics 1 & 2 are at the back/driver side Pic 3 at the front/passenger side. Also if these are the right spots can anyone tell me what the bolt sizes/threads are. Thanks for any help

DJSG3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Drop the whole engine/trans assembly our the bottom of the car. I don't think there is enough space to separate the engine from the trans between the frame rails.

You should be able to lower the subfarme onto a few chunks of 4x4 and still get your jack out. Then lift the car and roll it back. Or if you have a furniture dolly put the subframe on it and roll it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drop the whole engine/trans assembly our the bottom of the car. I don't think there is enough space to separate the engine from the trans between the frame rails.

You should be able to lower the subfarme onto a few chunks of 4x4 and still get your jack out. Then lift the car and roll it back. Or if you have a furniture dolly put the subframe on it and roll it out.
Thanks, any idea how much space is needed to seperate the two? I've got about 6 inches between the rail and the end of the trans. As to the straps way, it sounds good but just where are the proper places? Reckon I'll wait for the paper FSM to get here before moving forward.

DJSG3

·
Registered
360 Posts
This may or may not apply to your engine, but with my v8 I just ran straps around the exhaust man's. I expect there are tech's who would advise against that, but it was effective.
Got trans out/in w/o too much trouble once the sub-frame was out.
Getting that TC "seated" properly in the trans before reassembly was what cause me a lot of problems -- not because it was super hard, just that I didn't realize the importance of that step once I was there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Greets,

Okay, got the FSM and the lifting points if anyone is interested are located on the left and right side of the motor. The left side is just past the exhaust manifold (first pic) towards the rear of the engine and the other one is on the right side towards the front of the motor, it doubles as a engine support spot. You have to take off the plastic cowl beneath the windshield wipers to get to it. This is a Duratec DOHC motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greets,

Well had to put this job on the back burner for a while but finally got it done. Hardest part I think was putting it all back together, a real pain in the back and elswhere. Anyways, ended up making my own hoisting brackets from parts purchased at home depot. Total cost about $25 and thats only because I had to buy two foot lengths of the metal bars I used, only needed about 10 inches. See the included picks for details. Used a small support bar for the front one, took out the headlights and but two small blocks of 4x4 in their place to give me a level support area for the bar. For the back point I took two 4x4 blocks and placed them on the frame edge and up against the strut top mounts then laid 6 foot long 4x4 across them. Also I dropped the trans and pulled it out through the drivers side wheel well, that way I only had to raise the whole car up about 20 inches.

DJSG3

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What did you do about the subframe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
also, did you use a bolt in those holes? how long? what pitch?

I could not find find this info elsewhere, thought it was here before. I have a 2000 duratec, and the hole on the front is m12 x 1.75, length about 30-35 mm. It is pretty tricky to get to both of these holes. The front one requires moving the coolant pipes, and I also removed the radiator fan in front of the hole.The rear one is likely the same. After removing the plastic cowl panels, seems you have to undo an EVAP line to get to it. I could not tell what that line was for, thought it was for the A/C at first. Seems the EVAP line is coming out of a jumbo sized EVAP purge valve. The purge valves on newer cars are relatively small in comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts