Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Sable with a Duratec engine. When the car sits for awhile (a week or more) the engine has a harder time starting, it runs on maybe 4 cylinders and makes a knocking noise for a few seconds and slowly goes away? Is that from the lifters or what would make that knocking noise? I was reading somewhere that it could be a bad oil check valve if it is the lifters, how hard would that be to replace? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Im no master mechanic, but I'd be worried about the oil/system. If its a loud obnoxious knock, maybe your filters clogged and it takes a while for the oil to cycle up, or you just need an oil change from the dredded viscosity breakdown.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
My vulcan does the same thing. Does it go away if you rev the engine up? Mine does, and as the engine gets warmer, the knocking goes away. Mine sounds like lifter knock, but yours would obviously not be that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the sound didnt go away when I revved it, but after 15 seconds the sound was gone and didnt come back, the sound seemed to go away once the car started running on all 6 cylinders. I am going to change the oil soon on the car so maybe with a little luck it wont happen again, but I am would guess that since it sat for awhile, it probably has to do with oil flow and a temporary lack of lubrication. Would this have caused much damage, the car was only idleing as this happened. I will keep you updated if anything else unusual happens.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts