Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the weather has warmed up, I have been hearing knock / ping in the engine, even under slightest load. When the car goes up-hill, or on exit Ramp's or while climbing bridges, there is Audible engine knock.

Knock is audible when the temperature is above 80 F, otherwise it runs normal.

This is a 2001 vulcan with 79K on it. And I ran the seafoam through combusion chamber around 60K, also I ran 10 bottle of Lucas Fuel treatment(injector cleaner) at 60K. So, I doubt this is because of carbon build up.

I recently changed to 5W30 sysnthetic oil, and ran engine flush before that.
Also I recently changed the fuel filter recently, with Autozone filter.

What should be the cause, and how can I fix it ?
Is switching to premium gas the only way ?

Does these engine's have knock sensor?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The 01 Vulcan does not have knock sensors.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
As the weather has warmed up, I have been hearing knock / ping in the engine, even under slightest load. When the car goes up-hill, or on exit Ramp's or while climbing bridges, there is Audible engine knock.

Knock is audible when the temperature is above 80 F, otherwise it runs normal.

This is a 2001 vulcan with 79K on it. And I ran the seafoam through combusion chamber around 60K, also I ran 10 bottle of Lucas Fuel treatment(injector cleaner) at 60K. So, I doubt this is because of carbon build up.

I recently changed to 5W30 sysnthetic oil, and ran engine flush before that.
Also I recently changed the fuel filter recently, with Autozone filter.

What should be the cause, and how can I fix it ?
Is switching to premium gas the only way ?

Does these engine's have knock sensor?

Did you clean the MAF sensor?
Check the O2 sensors?
make sure there are no vacuum hose leaks?

If you had a live OBD2 sensor, you could look at the fuel trims live
and see whats going on.

·
Registered
587 Posts
sounds like you are getting a slight detonation or overly complete combustion from lack of egr. this will cause a ping on hot days have you had the codes pulled? to see if there are any pending some time will not get a check engine light because there pending. read about this in your Haynes manual under egr system also here is a spark plug chart. dealing with major destination.

Verrill: Plug Color Chart

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check engine light came on 3 weeks ago, for the Camshaft synchro(CPS). I replaced the CPS, and it's gone.
But engine knock was there even before I replaced the CPS.
I will get the codes read again.

I recently replaced the fuel filter, with a new from Autozone. Just curious, can the new fuel filter, be causing the fuel pressure issues ?

No, I didn't clean the MAF.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Check the pcv valve, hose, and look for vac leaks that could be causing a lean condition. If that isn't the culprit, check and clean the egr passages. The Vulcan engine is known to knock somwhat under load when the air becomes hot and dense, even mine will get some ping at times, but not like what you described.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My old '01 used to ping really bad as well. Nothing I did would change it. I think mine might have had an issue with the egr stuck open (no codes, not even stored so not sure). It drove me nuts. Anytime it got above 60 outside and it was under load (40%-80% throttle) it would sound like someone was dumping buckets of ping-pong balls under the hood. I thought someone mentioned in another topic a while back that you could get the pcm flashed with the program for a newer car and that might help? Not sure about this though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts