Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long while, I can feel that engine hiccups while I stopped at red light. The interval for hiccup actually varies. I tried to turn AC off and it does not help much. It might hiccup less frequently with AC off. Could somebody advise what is going on?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Do you have a Check Engine light lit????

Even if you don't, have the computer scanned for trouble codes at no cost, at you favorite autoparts store, as it can have codes stored in CM that haven't matured to turn the trouble light on yet.

Then post ALL trouble code numbers found, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

Maybe a spark breakdown problem.

Check to make sure all the spark plug connections are tight & are in good repair & the plugs aren't dirty, or have chips or cracks in the ceramic insulators.

Then , raise the hood at night & have a look for arcing & sparking.

If that proves naught, maybe try using a spray bottle of water & do a "wet down test" of each plug & wire & the coil, or coilpack, to see if you can cause it to act up.

If all that proves naught, have a listen to each of the fuel injectors with a stethoscope & see if you can hear a diffrence.

A bunch of things to ponder.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this problem for a long time. It used to throw a error code of P0301 (can't remember exactly, indicating a small leak in vaccum line. As a result, I changed EGR sensor which fixed the code. At the same time, I changed all spark plugs. This hiccup problem was there once I bought the car a year ago and now it only gets worse.

Even if you don't, have the computer scanned for trouble codes at no cost, at you favorite autoparts store, as it can have codes stored in CM that haven't matured to turn the trouble light on yet.

Then post ALL trouble code numbers found, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

Check to make sure all the spark plug connections are tight & are in good repair & the plugs aren't dirty, or have chips or cracks in the ceramic insulators.

If that proves naught, maybe try using a spray bottle of water & do a "wet down test" of each plug & wire & the coil, or coilpack, to see if you can cause it to act up.

If all that proves naught, have a listen to each of the fuel injectors with a stethoscope & see if you can hear a diffrence.

[/b]

I had this problem for a long time. It used to throw a error code of P0301 (can't remember exactly, indicating a small leak in vaccum line. As a result, I changed EGR sensor which fixed the code. At the same time, I changed all spark plugs. This hiccup problem was there once I bought the car a year ago and now it only gets worse.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

It only happens while idling at Drive gear and I cannot feel a thing while driving.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Code P0301 is a misfire code for cyl 1, rear bank passenger side.

So I'd have a close look at that cyl's plug, plug wire, or cop, or whatever it has.

Seeing as how you've replaced the plugs, maybe you cracked or chipped a plug insulator, inside or out, or maybe that plugs gap is exessive, or maybe that plugs wire or cop isn't seated properly, or the wire or cop is bad internally, or your getting sporatic flashover/bereakdown under the plug boot, because you didn't get the di-electric grease spread around evenly, or not enough applied, or the plugs insulator got dirty on installation.

If the problem happens more often on cool, humid, wet rainey days, or when the engine is cold & underhood condensation is present, suspect electrical breakdown in the spark circuit & do a operational underhood inspection after dark to try & spot the breakdown & or do the wet down test.

You could try attaching a inductive type timing light to each plug wire & see if you can detect a msfire thats in time with the miss at idle.

More trouble shooting thoughts to ponder.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is while engine hiccups neither the speedometer nor the odometer gauge moves at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK, my 2000 duratec did what I believe to be the same thing. For me it only occurred while stopped at a light or while in park at idle. I can poorly describe it as like the A/C cycling on, just a little flub in the idle purr.

For me it did not throw any codes, then the flub got a little more frequent and really annoying, then I drove the hell out of the car on city streets until it finally threw me a flashing check engine light signaling a misfire.

Auto zone checked it out for me and it was a #4 cylinder misfire code. This cylinder is the one on the rear bank nearest the driver.

What I did: changed all six spark plugs and replace the #4 COP. Did this six months ago and problem has not returned since.

BTW: To get to the back spark plugs I only removed the plastic cowling and got a 8" wobble extension. A 1/4" rubber fuel line helps too for the initial spark plug insertion.

Hope this helps, sorry if I rambled on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last sunday, I threw in a bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner and it seems to help right away. Now, I cannot feel engine hiccups again. Must be a partial clogged fuel injector. Is there anything I can do to make things even better?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Last sunday, I threw in a bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner and it seems to help right away. Now, I cannot feel engine hiccups again. Must be a partial clogged fuel injector. Is there anything I can do to make things even better?
[/b]
Good idea to try a fuel system tidy upper if all the spark electricals have checked out.

Don't know which Chevron product you tried, but run most of this treated tank out, then add a treatment of Chevrons "Techron Concentrate Plus" at the specified oz/gal treat rate, BEFORE fillng at the pump, then fill up with Chevron, Texaco, or CalTex gas (which already has Techron in it) so it'll mix well & run most of that second treatment out & see how it goes.

This treat rate will raise the Techron level, 10X above the pump gas concentration.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem came back again two weeks ago and seems to getting worse while the fuel filter was replaced last week. Any thoughts?

One thing I realized is the sometime vibrating noise from the hood, I can not describe it very well. But the vibration noise sometime is loud and sometimes I can bearly hear it.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Good idea to try a fuel system tidy upper if all the spark electricals have checked out.

Don't know which Chevron product you tried, but run most of this treated tank out, then add a treatment of Chevrons "Techron Concentrate Plus" at the specified oz/gal treat rate, BEFORE fillng at the pump, then fill up with Chevron, Texaco, or CalTex gas (which already has Techron in it) so it'll mix well & run most of that second treatment out & see how it goes.

This treat rate will raise the Techron level, 10X above the pump gas concentration.
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My vulcan is picky as to where I fill up at. Do u fill up with Murphy crap at Walmart? The Techron stuff u use is really good stuff, I use two bottles @ empty every other oil change-about every 10k, which I buy @ Walmart-lol, along with the Mobil 1 oil I use. Stay away from cheap gas. Were u running the defroster? Mine will idle a little funny @ idle when the compressor kicks on and off while under load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts