Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 Taurus SEL V6 DOHC 123,000 miles. I have had a bad egr valve for a while now. Was told not to worry about it since we don't have emissions here. The other day engine light started flashing and engine started "jerking" whether we are idol or moving. Had codes pulled and came up misfire in cylinder 1. And the faulty EGR. So I changed all the plugs and wires. Checked all fluids. Not better. In fact it is worse. Now my exhaust makes a loud "puh puh" when we apply the gas and the engine still jerking. Car also stalls out if we don't keep foot on gas. Seems to be a hissingish sound coming from somewhere under hood. Sounds like air being sucked in. I have lost power as well. Could my EGR valve be causing this problem? What else should I look for?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would look at cleaning your IAC (Idle Air Control) valve with brake cleaner, or replace if it you have the cash. Also the fuel filter being clogged could be an issue if you haven't replaced it, which is cheap and easy to do yourself.

If your getting the EGR code though that would be the next place to start a long with the others i mentioned since they are cheap to do.

Also cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner and replacing the air filter won't hurt if your due for them.

Oh i forgot to mention if your getting a hissing sound and the stalling without the codes i would suspect a vacuum leak which will surely cause those symptoms. I would check for leaking hoses if you can track it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have come across some new things today. 1 my exhaust is blowing out white smoke. 2 it looks like I have some oil in my coolant. Also coolant is about half full and I just put some in 2 weeks ago. So we are thinking head gasket or something with the manifold possibly. Anything else I should be looking for to help confirm this? We are also not driving the car at this time to prevent any further damage if it is one of the above.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
Smell the white smoke at exhaust. Does it smell like burnt sugar? If so, its head gasket time :( Oil in coolant also points to HG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts