Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an 86 Taurus with a 2.5 automatic. To date it has a new battery, fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires and cap, idle speed control motor, throttle position sensor and oxygen sensor. Probably a few other forgotten items also. The grounds seem good and I've found no vacuum leaks. The car starts great but probably revs too high when cold. It will run briefly then quit. It will restart and run about 4-5 minutes then quit again. After that it may quit at any time but it will start again. I do recall when I was last driving it that there were times it would not start until it had sat for a while. I'm thinking computer but am open to suggestions from anyone that may have experienced this with their car. I sure would appreciate any help that you may offer. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Could be the EEC but I doubt it. EEC IV PCMs were very robust and VERY rarely fail unless they have been abused (batt jumped "backwards", severe voltage spikes in the system, etc.) EEC IV failing PCMs often will not output codes and will run the cooling fan and fuel pump at all times with the key in run. Have you run the complete code test (KOEO, CM and KOER)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jeff. To my knowledge I haven't done anything that would harm it. I don't get any signal from the computer when this happens. Do you think it may still have info in it?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
I am not sure what you mean when you say you dont get any signal from the computer. Do you mean the PCM wont output the DTCs (2 digit for 86) The program itself that runs everything is stored in a RAM chip and basic I/O stuff is stored in a ROM chip in the PCM. When the EEC IV PCM fails, it is sometimes a internal reference voltage fault or, more likely, an output driver fault.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just meant the computer's dash light didn't come on Jeff, check engine. I didn't know if there would be any info stored without this happening. The car ran fine today. It had been acting up so it's been parked for probably a couple of months until I had time to fool with it. I started it first thing in the morning and it idled fine although fast. Later I decided to drive it to a church about 20 miles away that i had to do some work in. It ran fine the whole time but I can't say I feel confident that will continue since I had made no changes.

Would it be worthwhile to take it somewhere to see if there are codes stored in the computer? Thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If the light is out then te bulb is probably out. BTW that's a pretty rare combination you have- a working 2.5 with an automatic.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Does the CEL come on when the key is turned to RUN? It should if the bulb is good. Another thought.... many 86 Fords (and other makes models of cars) did not come with a operational CEL, even if there is a spot for it in the dash. I think California may have required them back then, but no other states did at the time. For example, my 86 Tbird 5.0 doesnt have a CEL. CELs became much more common in 87+.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right Jeff, no check engine light. There may be a space for it but I'll have to check when there is more time.

I had the tranny rebuilt soon after I bought it WJC. My other transportation is a 69 F250 with a 390 automatic. With gas prices as they are I've been wanting the Taurus back on the road. You've probably guessed I'm not interested in buying a new vehicle! :)

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
I loved the ford 390 eng. I had several fords and mercs alike equipped with that eng., but my ford p.u. had that p.o.s. 360. Of course gas was 19.9 cents/gal. then........

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well, you say there were some times it wouldn't restart without sitting a while. That sounds like a TFI module, but the other symptoms don't. I think you'll need a spark tester and an EFI gauge to track this down.

Ford ignition switches were a lot of trouble around that time, too, although that wouldn't explain the high cold idle.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post a pic of that engine? I've just never actually seen the 2.5, curious what they looked like...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew the TFI modules were an issue but my understanding was that they would get heated and wouldn't function until they cooled. That hasn't been a very consistent problem. Usually it's been cold problems. My neighbor was saying the same as you though and he was a Ford parts man for many years. The switch crossed my mind also. There have been times it doesn't seem to turn off all the way. I'll try to get you a picture sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a 360 in this truck for a while too Sheila and didn't like it. I believe the current motor was actually out of an older LTD. I've had the truck for almost 25 years. This motor I went through thoroughly a couple of years ago and it's still tight. I drive it regularly as a work truck but try to keep it in reasonably good shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's an 86 Taurus with a 2.5 automatic. To date it has a new battery, fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires and cap, idle speed control motor, throttle position sensor and oxygen sensor. Probably a few other forgotten items also. The grounds seem good and I've found no vacuum leaks. The car starts great but probably revs too high when cold. It will run briefly then quit. It will restart and run about 4-5 minutes then quit again. After that it may quit at any time but it will start again. I do recall when I was last driving it that there were times it would not start until it had sat for a while. I'm thinking computer but am open to suggestions from anyone that may have experienced this with their car. I sure would appreciate any help that you may offer. Thanks!
I have no experience with the 2.5, but I'm assuming it has the same basic ignition components as the 3.0 of this vintage. Most likely it's either the ignition coil or the PIP inside the distributor. Possibly, but much less likely, the ignition module. I would try replacing the coil first, as it's the cheapest and simplest to replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had something similar happen on my '89 Stang. It was missing the screws on top of the distributor. You may wanna check that as well as the ignition coil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts