Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 Flex Fuel 50k miles

Started the car. Engine ran about a second and died. Restarted the engine. 6 error codes including CHECK TRANSMISSION light.

Bank 1 O2 sensor 1 heater circuit malfunction. (p0160?)
Bank 2 O2 sensor 1 heater circuit malfunction. (p0170?)
Evaporator vent circuit malfunction (p0440?)
Torque converter electrical (p0743)
Solenoid A malfunction (p0750)
Solenoid C malfunction (p0760)

I erased the codes and started the engine again, and made a short trip. No issue.

I assume the codes were triggered as the engine stopped abnormally and do not mean much. Is this a fair assumption?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
"Circuit malfunction" usually mean a complete disconnect. I bet thos wires are grouped together at some point on the chassis. I wonder if a connector pulled apart by engine movement, snagged a tree branch etc. Check the engine bay & undercarriage for dangling wires.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
^^^^ +1

Also check for parts of the harness that may have fallen on the exhaust, melting wires or parts of the harness that have chaffed somewhere.

kenny001..... this site is about helping people troubleshoot and fix their bulls themselves, not "you have a problem, take it to the garage and have someone else fix it".

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Also you may want to get your battery tested. The Gen 4.5s are known for going crazy/spastic when their voltage drops below a certain point, causing random codes to be spit out.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Sounds like you either need a battery or need to clean the terminals...

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I measured the voltage yesterday. With engine running, 14.2 V at the battery terminals. Battery had 12.3 V. I thought it was low. A healthy battery would have near 13 V. The battery is about 6 months old, Walmart's EverReady. I just happen to have a battery to replace it. I will pop that in tomorrow.

By the way, it's my wife's car. She said CHECK TRANSMISSION light came back on the way back home this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I was replacing the battery, I noticed the cable to MAF sensor was taut. The sheet metal bracket holding the BIG connector (2" square and about 5 inches long right on transmission) was pushed down, making multiple cables taut. I remembered WJC suspected disconnection of multiple cables as the cause. I reshaped the metal bracket and the cables are now loose, like my other car. I will update in a few days.

I also cleaned/lubed ground and charger cable connections.

Both the replaced and replacing batteries are healthy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.