Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember someone once saying that their coolant was full of brown sludge, and I think i vaguely remember them saying it was a recall. I can't find it anywhere though.

Sludge has overcome my little bull for the second time in 3 years. I didn't think that it should be full of brown sludge. I first had it flushed 8-3-01, at 59, 891 miles. Now at 90,586 miles its sludged again... Am I supposed to have the coolant tank flushed every year? 50K miles? If it's 50K miles, then I shouldn't be due yet. What's goin' on?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
With a Gen 3 Vulcan, you should probably have the system flushed, or flush it yourself every year unless you have a bypass kit, (which I know for a fact you dont as it was introduced in 98 and your car is a 97), reason why is that brown sludge is partially rust. The reason why you get that sludge is the way in which the cooling lines are routed, and the materials. There was a recall, but you wont be able to get it done now, as it is not a safety recall and it expired. Its on of those, "if they dont ask, dont tell them" recalls (such as if people dont ask, the dealer wont tell). You need a bypass kit, to keep your cooling system from sludging up, and either blowing a headgasket like teh Bobs, or plugging up the heater core, like what happened to mine. It will start eating away at your freeze plugs, too, and if succesful at deteriorating them, you will have a leak that is VERY costly to repair.

Either
1-Flush coolant every year.
2-Buy the Bypass kit.

P.S. You may want to get a new Degass tank (the tank where you check the coolant level) as there is an updated version out that will not crack, and wont change in color because of the rust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what coolant did you use? Green stuff, or reddish/orange?

As for flushing... for my lil' Prizm, it's suggested you drain and change the coolant every 30k, and flush if necessary. Check your owners manual and see what Ford suggests.

G

·
Suggested intervals are out the window in this case. Coolant flush Read this, and do it. Add the bypass hose between the heater hoses as well. This should cut down on the brown coolant signifigantly, but it may take a few flushes to get it completely out. There's usually a lot of sludge in there.

Also, our cars don't call for the extended life coolant (orange stuff). You could use it, but in this case I wouldn't recommend it, since you'll be flushing every month or so until your brown coolant is gone. Get the cheapest coolant you can find for now, since it'll be getting flushed out anyhow.

G

·
Originally posted by spridget@Jul 10 2004, 05:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is the proper way of disposing coolant?
Here in RI, you can bring the old coolant back to the store you bought the new coolant from. I'm not sure if that's the state law, or federal, but the same holds for all fluids, oil, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I used the green stuff. It's anti-freeze/coolant. I use it all the time. It's in a yellow bottle.. I just forgot the manufacturers name. On Thursday (pay day, yay!) I'll have it flushed.. I didn't know they charged so much for flushing though! (I'm not allowed to work on oil changes or anything in my back yard anymore.. :( The landlord was plenty pissed when she checked on the house and I was playing underneath the car on wednesday :(

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Ash, you probably use Prestone 50/50.

I flush mine out evry other year. I DON'T have the coolant bypass, and I don't have much of a rust problem. But I also use Royal Purple's "Blue Ice". It's their version of Watter Wetter. It's supposed to reduce block oxidation.

·
Registered
809 Posts
QUOTE (BigPip @ Feb 6 2010, 02:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=784251
Okay, I realize this is a really old post but I have to ask...

What do you by pass with the bypass kit?[/b]
As far as I know the bypass hose is factory. Ford realized if the heater core becomes clogged or restricts coolant flow over time the rear head runs too hot and will blow the head gasket. The bypass hose, or kit provides the adequate coolant flow regardless of the heater core clogging up or not.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (spridget @ Jul 10 2004, 06:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=76377
Just out of curiosity, what is the proper way of disposing coolant?[/b]

QUOTE (Bob Gervais @ Jul 10 2004, 01:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=76441
Originally posted by spridget@Jul 10 2004, 05:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is the proper way of disposing coolant?
Here in RI, you can bring the old coolant back to the store you bought the new coolant from. I'm not sure if that's the state law, or federal, but the same holds for all fluids, oil, etc.
[/b]
It's a federal law that all hazardous mats get disposed of at a proper facility, just like engine oil. Coolant pollutes just as bad as oil does, and water treatment plants can't remove all of it before it goes into lakes, etc. If you get cought letting coolant runoff into the ground/storm sewers, it can carry a real heafty fine.

Firesprit: You should be changing your coolant every 2-3 yrs, you probably have corrosion issues. When you do flush it, do the reverse heater core back flush to get all that gunk out of there. Another thing that can cause the black gunk is if the water pump impellers are breaking apart, spitting debris into the system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.