Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all. exactly the part i am dealing with. Sorry to ping you all once more but if the "coolant pipe" or "ECT housing" is pressed on.....after I take it out with pliers or vice grip....how would I press in a new one?

·
Registered
405 Posts
maybe I don't understand your question, but the link I posted seems fairly straight foward with detailed instructions and what it's called, pictures, part number, where he got it, instructions on how he got it out and how to put it back along with pictures of the set up he used to get it back in. Did you not see the second page?

Make sure you have a new one in hand before you try to get the old one out, that generation car has been off the assembly line more than 10 years, ford is no longer required to keep parts for a vehicle once its past the 10 year mark.

Don't know if this link will work but: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=PiwNJhgoVA0fDMQagmcd7w%3d%3d&id=140872559&m=2&search=true&year=1996&make=Ford&model=Taurus

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks. I read the excellent post above with helpfule schematic. Unfortunately, the issue is still whether or not this part is pressed on. The wonderful write-up with notes in the graphic that it is screwed on. Some feedback I received is that it was pressed on (maybe a change from 96 to 97?. I went to a junk yard and could not turn the part on five different 96 tauruses causing me to think it is pressed on, however, my part indeed would turn a bit but now I am thinking it perhaps it turned a bit cause it is rotting out on the inside. So again I am getting conflicting info on the part bing either pressed on or screwed on. If it is screwed on no big deal and easy fix as laid out in previous posts. If pressed on however it may be more than I can handle and I may cause more of a leak if I mess furher with it.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Stu, as i previously stated and the link pics illustrate, the housing is pressed in and both senders screw in. Read and look at the pics on page #2 of the link. It sounds like fastpartsnetwork (Torrie) or the second link provided by nytaurusabuser or Tasca Ford can provide the part. Maybe available cheaper elsewhere (parts stores)? Read both pages of illustrated tutorial link carefully.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
closure on this....the housing for the the two coolant temperature sensors is "pressed" into the engine block (not threaded) as described elsewhere...at least this was the case with my 96 3.0 vulcan and several other 96 and 97 tauruses I checked at a junk yard.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Yes, housing (coolant elbow) is a press fit, as pics of the old and new part illustrate. Both senders thread into the housing. Feldm4n was incorrectly assuming the housing was threaded because he, like you initially, did not know how it was installed. Yes, the text he added to the first graphic was indeed incorrect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are the two sensors that screw into the housing the same? I couldn't tell from the previous thread. Obviously one has one wire and one has two wires in the connector, and one appears to be grey and the other black.

I'm looking for the part number for the send unit that feeds the ecm, not the gauge, i.e. the one with two wires.

Please and thank you!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.