Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new here.. well to posting at least. I've been reading the forums here for a while, and they've helped me out alot with my car. But now I have a problem that I'm not real sure about. I have a 1997 Taurus GL, and my check engine light is on, with the code p0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold(Bank 1). I don't know much at all about the exhaust system or the catalytic converter. What is the best way to determine if its just an o2 sensor, or if it IS the catalytic converter? Also if it is the cat, does it hurt it too bad to keep driving it? One last thing, would it be cheaper to just buy a new exhaust system than to replace the cat(are there 2 or 3?). Any help would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
to check the operation of the O2 sensor versus the catalytic convertor, remove the downstream O2 sensor on the front bank and swap it with the downstream O2 sensor on the rear bank. Get the codes cleared (very important!). Then after some time has passed (days, weeks, months...) and you get code P0430 (same as P0420 but for bank 0) then you know the O2 sensor is bad. If you get P0420 again, then the cat is bad.

Upstream sensors are between the engine and cat, downstream sensors are after the cat....

It's probably a good idea to change all 4 sensors with the age of your car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts