Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys were so helpful with my headlight problem maybe you can shed some like on this one. ;)

After pulling the fuse out of the DRL circuit I sat in the car with the engine idling.
I gave it gas and the RPMs increased steadily until about 4000 RPM, then it was like the engine was choking or stalling and the RPMs bounced between 4 - 3 K RPM.

What is up with that? It kind of freaked me out. I took the car to Florida this past March and it got us there and back without a hicup. We cruised at about 75 MPH without a problem.

Should I have it checked out? What could be causing that? :blink:

fb

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
If you were doing this while sitting in your drive way in Park then this was your Rev Limiter that you encountered. It kicks in around 4000-4300 to keep you from damaging your engine. It is perfectly normal. If this happened while driving then that's a different issue all together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are my new best friends. :D

In the last couple of days you guys haves saved me at least a couple of hundred bucks. :banana:

I didn't know about the rev limiter, I guess that makes sense. There should be a mechanism to protect us idiots from ourselves.

Sitting in park and reving the engine isn't something I do often, as a matter of fact it was the only time, I won't do it again.

Anyway I would like to give something back to the club. I've been reading about how alot of Taurus owners have a problem with the headlight lenses yellowing with age. I found a product that does an amazing job of clearing up the yellow and removing fine, small scratches. Can't do much about the rock chips though.

I use a product called FLITZ. It's a metal and fiberglass cleaner. It's made in West Germany (I guess it's all one Germany now) but it is packaged in the US by Flitz International LTD. Waterford, WI WI53185.

It takes a bit of elbow grease but the results are amazing. The polishing lasts a long time, I polish mine maybe twice a year.

Thanks again and I'll check in often.

fb :D

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by 99vfr@Jun 1 2004, 06:51 PM
You guys are my new best friends. :D

In the last couple of days you guys haves saved me at least a couple of hundred bucks. :banana:

I didn't know about the rev limiter, I guess that makes sense. There should be a mechanism to protect us idiots from ourselves.

Sitting in park and reving the engine isn't something I do often, as a matter of fact it was the only time, I won't do it again.

Anyway I would like to give something back to the club. I've been reading about how alot of Taurus owners have a problem with the headlight lenses yellowing with age. I found a product that does an amazing job of clearing up the yellow and removing fine, small scratches. Can't do much about the rock chips though.

I use a product called FLITZ. It's a metal and fiberglass cleaner. It's made in West Germany (I guess it's all one Germany now) but it is packaged in the US by Flitz International LTD. Waterford, WI WI53185.

It takes a bit of elbow grease but the results are amazing. The polishing lasts a long time, I polish mine maybe twice a year.

Thanks again and I'll check in often.

fb :D
Sweet, i'll take that thank you and run with it. My headlights aren't yellowing (yet) but they sure do have small scratches and such that would be nice to remove.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I had the same Question sometime back.. When I got my 96 GL bull I did the same thing .. tried to rev it past 4k rpm and it chocked...

Only after a yr or so.. I found out here in TCCA that its designed to do that.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by 99vfr@Jun 1 2004, 06:51 PM

The metal polish?

Metal polishes work, but there are other things and methods out there. I have done the whole gambit, but like Novus as well.

Flitz is a great metal polish :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts