Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Nearly impossible. (I just took a look) I was able to see them with the sub-frame, transaxle, starter and related mounts removed when I overhauled my transaxle.
I replaced the leaking freeze plugs back then and flushed a bunch of slimy sand out that didn't come out by flushing through the hoses.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nearly impossible. (I just took a look) I was able to see them with the sub-frame, transaxle, starter and related mounts removed when I overhauled my transaxle.
I replaced the leaking freeze plugs back then and flushed a bunch of slimy sand out that didn't come out by flushing through the hoses.
Yeah I thought it would be impossible, guess I won't drain the engine block when I do a coolant flush.....it sure was easy when I had a Toyota corolla....

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The best way I have found to flush is to remove water pump and
Flush with garden hose through both side's until water runs clear
On a Vulcan. Best to do this during water pump change.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best way I have found to flush is to remove water pump and
Flush with garden hose through both side's until water runs clear
On a Vulcan. Best to do this during water pump change.
On the Vulcan I remove the hose connected to the thermostat housing, take out the thermostat and stick a pressure washer hose in and back flush the engine block. I just wanted to drain the engine block to get all the regular water out so I can put distilled water in.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Getting the silt and muk out is more important with the iron Vulcan engine.
The system holds about 4 gallons of coolant when completely empty. About 1/2 gallon remains in the block. This means 88% of the coolant will be new, only 12% from the garden hose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
After flushing with the hose I just do one flush with distilled water, drain the distilled, then refill with half the quantity straight coolant and top up with distilled to get 50/50 mix.

I think the capacity is a little under 4 gallons. 12 or 13 quarts, but not sure - look in your owners manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it hard to get too? Looks like lot of things in the way...
I have a '97 3.0L Vulcan and on both sides of the engine there are freeze plugs in the middle and directly below the freeze blog is a small opening leaking drips that I've been told is a block drain plug do you think this is correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts