Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: 2000 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 12 valve V6. 67k miles
changed plugs and wires with Motorcraft parts Saturday.

AFTER plug change, wife noticed a "tick" coming from engine area just in front of passenger seat. It is noticable with hood up, sounds like it is coming from exhaust manifold area.

Plug wires were longer than the ones coming off, but dont seem to be crossing. havent riven it since change, but wife says it runs fine.

Any ideas what it could be? Kinda strange it wasnt doing it prior to the plug change (or if it was we didnt notice).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Could be a spark jumping somewhere. Make sure all the wires are securely snapped on, and you might want to reinspect the wires for any cracks, etc. If you check it in the dark you might even be able to see the spark if that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
does the tick go away after the engine has warmed up? I sometimes get an engine tick when it first starts up, but it goes away after a few minutes. It's not noticable in the cabin, only when your'e outside the car.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, I havent driven it yet, but will this evening when she gets home.

She said the tick is from startup until she turns it off.

Any other ideas?

I'm gonna check and make sure plug wires arent crossing...is there anything else to look out for with the wires? Can they be crossing, but just not touching? Can they be touching at all?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may have found the culprit. Taking it for a drive sounded more like an air leak/vacuum leak. Looking around there is some device above the #1 cylinder on the back of the engine. It has about 2 or 3 rubber hoses coming from it. One comes from drives side and connects to bottom of this module. It was disconnected. I reattached it but had 2 problems 1) end of hose is cut, and 2) too hot to get hands deep in there. Was able to reconnect it and sound went away but came back on the way home after it came unattached again.

Thanks for the help...maybe this is it. Can't afford any major repairs with a baby due soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts