Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 97 Taurus GL with 71K miles.

My wife was driving down the interstate and had made it about two miles when the dashboard lights came on and she lost power. We couldn't start the car andhad it towed home. Because she said the RPMs were all over the place when the car died, I figured it was the alternator -- had it and battery checked. All was fine. Checked starter it was fine.

You can hear the starter engaging, but it just kind of gets stopped dead and goes "thunk". I checked relays, fuses, etc... I have now tried to turn the crankshaft by hand (via the nut on the crankshaft with a breaker bar) to no avail.

Unless I'm mistaken, all signs lead to the engine being seized up. She heard no noise, we have oil and antifreeze is fine. Am I miss something in my diagnosis that I can check and do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jul 22 2009, 12:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741252
Had there been any "chirping" sounds lately? I'm thinking maybe the cam synchro or maybe even the cam gear on the bottom of the synchro, failed causing no oil pressure, by the time the lights and power loss occurred, it was just too late. Catastrophic failure. I'd probably say the next step is to pull the pan off and check for busted rods or smooshied bearing inserts.[/b]
We didn't hear any chirping noise but exactly a year ago we did change the cam synchronizer. Maybe tied to that? I'm dropping the pan this weekend to see what I can see. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (TJM @ Jul 22 2009, 12:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741253
Had there been any "chirping" sounds lately? I'm thinking maybe the cam synchro or maybe even the cam gear on the bottom of the synchro, failed causing no oil pressure, by the time the lights and power loss occurred, it was just too late. Catastrophic failure. I'd probably say the next step is to pull the pan off and check for busted rods or smooshied bearing inserts.[/b]
We didn't hear any chirping noise but exactly a year ago we did change the cam synchronizer. Maybe tied to that? I'm dropping the pan this weekend to see what I can see. Thanks for the suggestions.
[/b][/quote]

I hate to ask, but can you pull some pics of your cam synchronizer and whatever you find? I'd be interested to see if its similar to what happened to my '92.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (Jeremiah @ Jul 22 2009, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741257
[/b][/quote]

I hate to ask, but can you pull some pics of your cam synchronizer and whatever you find? I'd be interested to see if its similar to what happened to my '92.
[/b][/quote]
You bet. I will hopefully drop the pan and pull the synchronizer out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Well, before you get carried away, i would remove all the plugs and try to turn it over.
Its possible its hydro locked. At this point you have nothing to lose. If that is the case,
you probably had a head gasket let go.

bob

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (Jeremiah @ Jul 22 2009, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741257
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Your '92 doesn't have a cam synchronizer. It has a distributor.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 23 2009, 09:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741540
QUOTE (Jeremiah @ Jul 22 2009, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741257
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Your '92 doesn't have a cam synchronizer. It has a distributor.
[/b][/quote]

I realize this, but I want to see if the damage looks similar. Something caused the engine to seize while driving, and it was full of oil -- which was summarily strewn everywhere. It was real carnage.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It occurs to me that you should try removing the serpentine drive belt to see if one of the pulleys seized, and stopped the belt from turning. When the ac clutch pulley bearings fail, the pulley jams tight on against the clutch coil, and can stop the belt from turing cold. The starter motor does not have the power to turn the engine over when this happens, and when this happens when the engine is running, you will get dashboard warning lights before the engine shuts off.

A bad transmission can also stop the engine cold and keep it from turning over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts