Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 has 126k on it and I'm going to replace the upper tranny mount, under the battery. Also, the engine mount on the passengers side and then the torque(?) mount under/back on the engine. It's just those three, correct?

Anyone has any tips/tricks, etc. on swapping these out?

Thanks!
Shumax
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Slow forum, wow!

I attacked the mounts yesterday - all three. The upper transmission mount, on the drivers' side, uses a combination of 13mm and 15mm fasteners and through bolts. I would suggest starting with the bolts on the underside of the mount, that connect to the vehicle body. I also, STRONGLY, suggest you soak them with PB Blaster. Mine were very difficult to remove. Support the tranny with a jack and everything is straight forward. You do need to remove the air intake box, battery, etc. There are 4 bolts in the battery tray. Two 8mm bolts on the air intake tube by the grill. Don't forget the last bolt on the battery tray - it's on the bottom and connects to the body of the vehicle.

The passengers side motor mount is rather straight forward. A combination of 15mm and 18mm bolts. Soak them before trying to take them out. Some hang down in the wheel well. I would soak that side, too. I would suggest removing the coolant tank - two 8mm bolts and then lift up and forward - there is a clip on the fender that helps stabilize the tank. Make sure you support the engine as you take the mount off.

The torque mount is tricky. You need to loosen the two top 15mm bolts (they hold the bracket to the transmission), but you don't need to remove them. Just back them out 1/4-/12". Then remove the two through bolts on the mount and it will drop out. It's tight in there as the exhaust is right there. I did not need to drop the exhaust, but it took some effort to back the bolts out and put them in. You will need a ratcheting wrench. You will not get a socket on those through bolts. Make sure you put the shield back on - two 10mm bolts. That shield protects the mount from heat from the exhaust.

It took me the better part of 4 hours to do mine. Mostly because each mount had ONE bolt that was about seized. I had to use a 1/2" ratchet, and a cheater pipe, to loosen them. This, along with soaking with PB Blaster. Even then, it took quite a bit of effort to get the bolts to back out. It felt like they may snap from the pressure/leverage I was putting on them. I bet I spent 15-20min. fighting each of those three bolts. My Milwaukee 1/2" fuel impact - which has never let me down - did! I was shocked!

I haven't driven the vehicle, yet, as I ran out of time and need to put the shield back on the torque mount. Tied up today; so, hopefully on Saturday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, this awaits me soon™.
It's not an awful job. Just be sure you soak the bolts/fasteners before you go after everything. As I mentioned, I have one bolt in every mount that fought me. Also, I would strong encourage you to buy OEM parts. I have used aftermarket parts. They work for about a year and then you will have to go back in and replace them again. Simply not worth the frustration and time to save the $. If you need help, shoot me a PM. Good luck!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top