Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My voltage regulator went out and fried my alternator. It also ruined my new battery because of over-charging. I put in new alternator, regulator and was able to get a jump start after several tries. The car started up but my electronic digital dash is not working, along with the turn signals. The lights do work for headlights, brakes and interior. I will be getting a new battery today and checking fuses. What is going on? Is it because my current battery is bad and not giving my alternator enough current, blown fuses or is it something else? This is making me nuts!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
pretty sure it is probably fried. electronic clusters are bery sensative... but if you didn't check the fuse i would try that first. as for the blinkers it is very posible something there got blown out as well

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Um....

The battery does not give the alternator any current. Its primary purpose is to start the car and it supplies power to the accessories etc when the engine is not running. After the engine is running the alternator supplies electricity to the car's systems and replenishes the battery.

First thing I would check on anything electrical that is not working is the related fuse, then troubleshoot the rest of the circuit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the electronic cluster located and how easy is it to replace it? Also, I am on a tight budget and doing the repairs myself. How much do they usually run and can I get one at a junk yard?? Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
the cluster is the part right in the dash i assume that is what you were talking about that didnt work? and just to make sure we are on the same page, is it digital or analog? if you can get the car running check to see what the voltage is at at idle if its about 13-14 volts then your alt is pushing out enought to power everything and i would bet on the cluster being shot especially if it is digital. digital dashes from the 80's and 90's were not built to take overcharging or large voltage spikes and tend to blow out easily in this situation. and yes you can find them in the just yard but the digital one is going to be a bit harder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jul 22 2009, 02:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741277
the cluster is the part right in the dash i assume that is what you were talking about that didnt work? and just to make sure we are on the same page, is it digital or analog? if you can get the car running check to see what the voltage is at at idle if its about 13-14 volts then your alt is pushing out enought to power everything and i would bet on the cluster being shot especially if it is digital. digital dashes from the 80's and 90's were not built to take overcharging or large voltage spikes and tend to blow out easily in this situation. and yes you can find them in the just yard but the digital one is going to be a bit harder.[/b]
It is digital unfortunately lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (krg15 @ Jul 22 2009, 03:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741281
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jul 22 2009, 02:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741277
the cluster is the part right in the dash i assume that is what you were talking about that didnt work? and just to make sure we are on the same page, is it digital or analog? if you can get the car running check to see what the voltage is at at idle if its about 13-14 volts then your alt is pushing out enought to power everything and i would bet on the cluster being shot especially if it is digital. digital dashes from the 80's and 90's were not built to take overcharging or large voltage spikes and tend to blow out easily in this situation. and yes you can find them in the just yard but the digital one is going to be a bit harder.[/b]
It is digital unfortunately lol
[/b][/quote]

Yesterday I pin-pointed the problem. My # 5 fuse for the instrument cluster/EATC control blows fuse after fuse. All the other fuses are fine after I replaced them. So, I gather that I need to find and replace the electronic cluster. Anything else I should try or look out for? I am trying to avoid changing this myself since I am a novice. How difficult is pulling the dash and how long approx. does it usually take?? I may go to a junk yard and practice. There are no Sables with digital dashes but is practicing on a analog Taurus or Sable pretty similar?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Taking the cluster out is not that big of a deal. Procedure is in the factory shop manual. Be careful and figure it out.

Basically, take off lower panel cover (below the steering column), take off steering column covers, pull off headlight switch knob, remove screws holding cluster cover, remove cluster cover, being careful to unplug connectors to switches etc and removing some of the light sockets in the cover, then remove screws holding cluster in place. Pull the cluster and unplug harnesses from it.

Anything else need wiping?

·
Registered
953 Posts
QUOTE (sfhess @ Jul 22 2009, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741273
Um....

The battery does not give the alternator any current. Its primary purpose is to start the car and it supplies power to the accessories etc when the engine is not running. After the engine is running the alternator supplies electricity to the car's systems and replenishes the battery.

First thing I would check on anything electrical that is not working is the related fuse, then troubleshoot the rest of the circuit.[/b]

Is this true? I thought the battery ALWAYS supplied the power to the accessories and other electrical components in the car. I thought the Alternator was just there to ensure that the battery stayed charged while the battery was feeding all of these components.

I do agree that the battery does not give the alternator any current quote... just the rest of that paragraph is my question.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (sfhess @ Jul 23 2009, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741416
Taking the cluster out is not that big of a deal. Procedure is in the factory shop manual. Be careful and figure it out.

Basically, take off lower panel cover (below the steering column), take off steering column covers, pull off headlight switch knob, remove screws holding cluster cover, remove cluster cover, being careful to unplug connectors to switches etc and removing some of the light sockets in the cover, then remove screws holding cluster in place. Pull the cluster and unplug harnesses from it.

Anything else need wiping?[/b]
Does anyone have access to posting or emailing this procedure to me? I don't have the $$$$ for a shop manual. I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for the procedure tips tho!!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ Jul 23 2009, 12:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741418
QUOTE (sfhess @ Jul 22 2009, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741273
Um....

First thing I would check on anything electrical that is not working is the related fuse, then troubleshoot the rest of the circuit.[/b]

Is this true? I thought the battery ALWAYS supplied the power to the accessories and other electrical components in the car. I thought the Alternator was just there to ensure that the battery stayed charged while the battery was feeding all of these components.

I do agree that the battery does not give the alternator any current quote... just the rest of that paragraph is my question.

Thanks!
[/b][/quote]

after the car is running the alternator takes over entirely unless the electrical demand is greater then the alternators output then the electrical system will take power from both the battery and alternator.

and the battery provides power when starting the car, or when the key is in accessory, and it also provides power to the alternator to get it started. (it takes power to make power)

as for pulling your car appart it shoould not be hard at all. i would bring a small socket set (maker sure it has metric sizes) and a few screwdrivers both phillips and flat heah of different sizez and lengths.

like sfhess said but you could try it on a car in the junkyard if you prefer. the only differences between your car and a car with an analog cluster would be that the analog car has a speedo cable and that is a pain to get off but you can learn everything else by taking an anolog car appart. just take your time and think about things if you are not sure and you should get it no problem

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (krg15 @ Jul 23 2009, 02:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741440
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 23 2009, 01:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741431
http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/1...Cluster_Removal

Remember to check the Topic Finder and Wiki sites on here, plenty of good material already written up :)[/b]
Thanks! I'm freaking because my dash is digital and I have no idea how much gas I have. And, I am learning sable repairs by the seat of my pants, or car repairs for that matter.
[/b][/quote]
Heck...the yards I go to I believe has a few digital cluster cars. $25 for one if you can't find one, PM me and we can work something out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 23 2009, 03:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741462
QUOTE (krg15 @ Jul 23 2009, 02:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741440
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 23 2009, 01:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741431
http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/1...Cluster_Removal

Remember to check the Topic Finder and Wiki sites on here, plenty of good material already written up :)[/b]
Thanks! I'm freaking because my dash is digital and I have no idea how much gas I have. And, I am learning sable repairs by the seat of my pants, or car repairs for that matter.
[/b][/quote]
Heck...the yards I go to I believe has a few digital cluster cars. $25 for one if you can't find one, PM me and we can work something out.
[/b][/quote]

Hey, thanks. What part do I need exactly? The electronic cluster, or the electronic instrument panel voltage regulator? I'm a bit confused.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts