·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a Great forum, I've learned more in 1 day than ever before. I have a 99
Taurus 3.0 DOHC, the airbag sensor is on continuios, but sometimes the other
sensor lites blink off and on, and it makes the trans slip. so i replaced the
MAF and it fixed for about 1 month, then it came back. the dealer checked it
and said there is an open wire in harness and charged me like $200, but i'm no better off. so another mech told me to change the ECU, but i'm not sure that will
fix problem. anyone have a similar problem? I am stumped. not mech. inclined.
thanks, dave

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by healthcoach dave@Aug 15 2004, 04:37 PM
What a Great forum, I've learned more in 1 day than ever before. I have a 99
Taurus 3.0 DOHC, the airbag sensor is on continuios, but sometimes the other
sensor lites blink off and on, and it makes the trans slip. so i replaced the
MAF and it fixed for about 1 month, then it came back. the dealer checked it
and said there is an open wire in harness and charged me like $200, but i'm no better off. so another mech told me to change the ECU, but i'm not sure that will
fix problem. anyone have a similar problem? I am stumped. not mech. inclined.
thanks, dave
Hmmmm, sounds like it could be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

If the VSS goes, alot of other things will go haywire. Dont quote me on it, but I think thats what it could be.

Anyone else have any ideas?

-DC

·
Registered
86 Posts
If its the VSS your speedometer will start acting up. Like not registering any speed or have the needle bounce, and then kicking in. There is another sensor for the transmission, I forget the acronym now. But people report that if you notice your radio turning off temporarily when you manually shift through the gears like reverse into drive or park drive, it can be that sensor. It could also be that your alternator is on its way out. Check your service manual on testing the alternator, make sure its charging. Also make sure you check your ground wire from your battery to the frame. If this thing comes off it can fry your alternator. But depending on how many miles on the age of the vehicle its not a bad idea to check the VSS vechicle speed sensor. If you let this go too long unchecked it can toast your transmission. Sorry couldn't give you any definatives, but its a place to start.
Levi

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also the headlights are on continuios, but like 1/2 way, when i turn on the
lite switch they get brighter, when i put on brakes they get dimmer, and
the windsheild wipers just come on some days when not raining.
even any theories would be considered,
thanks, much hcdave

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like you most likely have a short somewhere, but from the description of it, it doesn't sound good. If your headlights are on, that means juice is somehow jumping into the circuit when the circuit is supposed to be closed. Same with your wipers power is being injected into them. If you brake it might be providing better ground and cause this short to ground to earth better. it is possible, but kinda weird if it was the case, that you might have a power leak to the frame. Since the headlights are grounded to the frame, power could theoretically flow backward into the lights since it is DC. You could test for it by taking voltmeter and finding the ground wires that are attached to the frame from the headlights and then touch a better ground to see if there is voltage. Not sure where the best ground would be if the frame is potentiallly "hot". Play around with a voltmeter to try to see if there is voltage on the frame. Again this is just theory.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
which light blinks....a better description would help.

As for the wipers....you need to replace the multi function swich. That has to do with the exterior lighting and wipers. As a matter of fact, i just replaced mine 3 hrs ago to fix the exact same problem

If the "O/D Off" light is flashing when the tranny is slipping, it could be numerous things. The only that would cause that are the TSS (turbine speed sensor) and the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), more likley the first.

If the Check engine light is flashing, then its probbay a random misfire.

Brad

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it seems that all the sensor lites blink in unisome, the check eng,
the low-fuel, the low-coolant,theft, oil, and when it is happening it seems
like the engine is trying to cut out or kinda jerk, and trans slips.
the theft lite always blinks, continuios, and airbag sensor stays on always.
but an odd thing happened,
3 days ago the check eng lite came on and stayed, and since then
the car has been running good and no more flashing sensors,trans
not slippimg.the code i got from auto zone was egr valve, will replace it
tommorrow and see what happens, will test alt, too.
thanks, hc dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts