Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Ford Taurus LX with 186k miles on it. Recently, while driving on a long-distance trip, I noticed that my gauges suddenly stopped working. I continued driving and noticed that my engine was about to die.

Luckily, the highway was clear and I managed to veer my car to the side safely as it cuts off. I wonder whether is it due to a bad alternator or just an electrical shot? I had replaced my battery just about a month ago.

Also, I noticed that whenever I start the car, the rev gauge needle was jumping between 0 to 1000 rpm, and the engine was struggling to idle properly, but after I started driving it, there seems to be no problems at all. What is the problem behind it?

Since I do a lot of long-distance driving, I changed my engine oil frequently and every time whenever I sent my car to Walmart, I noticed that the oil level is always half quart low. Is my engine burning oil now? I know that my oil pan is leaking, but the leak isn't that bad.

Hmm, I'm wondering whether should I keep this car or sell it off because since I bought it 3 months ago, it has always been a money pit. Just after a month, the transmission went out and it cost me $1200 to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Have the electrical system tested for free at most parts stores. Be sure they do a load test on the battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts