Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these issues were occurring a few months ago, prior to me unplugging my 250 watt amp and subwoofer. I unplugged everything and the problems ceased... until now.

*cue dramatic music*

Randomly, when I turn off my car, be it in my driveway or a random parking lot the vehicle will not restart. I will open the doors and no lights will come on, no switches will work, and the car itself will not turn on when the key is turned. I get out, close the door, and the remote won't lock or unlock the vehicle.

While driving, I can visibly see the display on my stereo head unit flicker. The light bars flicker and flash, but never completely fade. The music skips randomly as well... but that could be attributed to the poor quality of my current CD of choice.

Today while driving I reversed out of a parking space, whipped the bull around, and flipped it into drive in one swift motion, like I usually do. But when I hit the accelerator when I put it into drive I heard a warning beep, and the HUD showed "CHECK BRAKES," flashed, then showed "TRACTION CONTROL OFF," then "TRACTION CONTROL ON."

And today when I pulled into the parking lot outside my work, I put it into park and visibly noticed electrical differences. The sound on my stereo faded and the quality visibly worsened. The windows went up MUCH slower than usual, and if I attempted to raise BOTH back windows at the same time they just wouldn't go up at all, and the stereo would cease working.

I got the alternator checked at AutoZone about a month ago and it was in perfect working order, as was the battery.

...what am I doing wrong? What's wrong with my car?
Does anyone know how I can fix this?

:(

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You have a primary wiring problem somewhere. I bet the grounds are screwed up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds relatively simple.

The CD player has had a few random problems since I owned the car (random skipping, sometimes unfunctional, though that is rare.). Can I assume that the ground for said player is the culprit?

And if so, where would the cable be ground so I can investigate it?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
You'd probably be best starting with the Big Three: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43089

According to my 04 Wiring Diagrams, G300 is the ground for the trunk-mounted CD changer -- and appears to be just outboard of the top of the RCU, on the wheel well flange. Two grounds are together (G300 for the CD and G301 for the RCU), both are drawn as ring connectors that the bolt or screw passes through.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm going to be doing the Big 3 eventually, but I would like to do a quick patchwork on it to fix it before I get around to the Big 3.

This obviously isn't something that arose from my own tinkering. The audio is now totally stock now that my amp is unplugged.

How do I go about getting to the ground. You said on the wheel well... so I would access it from under the hood?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
No - left (driver) rear wheel well. Peel back the trunk trim on that side. Most likely, however, is the possibility that the audio is not getting enough power thanks to shorting, or inadequate grounds that have more importance, such as the Big Three.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Do the Big 3, get a larger alternator and an Optima battery and see if that works :x:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The main ground is from the battery to a stud used to mount the starter. Then there is a smaller ground that goes to the drivers side fender. There is also one at the firewall on the passenger side, this may have a wire going to the engine too. There is a third at the passenger side fender.

There are several others in the interior but if you are wiring in a high current device it is best to make sure the ground back to the battery is all copper and that the wire is as big as the positive wire that feeds the amp.

What I did is to loop all the under hood ground together using some #8 wire. Then ran a #8 wire from the trunk up to these. My amp is grounded directly to the battery with large gage wire, both in the trunk. The battery is grounded to the frame, but there is at least one wire connecting all together back to the stater.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts