Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this in another thread but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention there so I thought I'd make it's own thread...

I had a problem today with my battery light... I was driving to work like I do every day (about a 30 minute commute) except today it was raining pretty steadily for the entire drive. I've driven in rain like this before and never had a problem. However, today, half way to work my battery light started flickering very lightly and fairly sporadically. I should mention that the entire time I've owned the car I've never once seen the battery light come on. Then it started flickering more and more. I got to work safely and didn't think twice about it. I kinda figured that some water got under the hood and was causing a little problem. In my old 93 Taurus I had a similar problem that occurred just about all the time with the flickering light and it never affected performance so I always just said meh.

Well, after work, I got back in the car and drove a bit and the light was flickering again. So later that night, I'm on my way back home and I notice my lights are really dim. So after a few more minutes, my ABS light comes on... Then a few more minutes my airbag light comes on. Now I'm starting to worry! So I turn off all my accessories and dim the panel lights down to low. The battery light is on solid now. I finally got to a point where I figured I better get off the highway and find a big parking lot to pull into just in case. My headlights were just about completely dead.

Well I got on the onramp and started to brake and noticed that my car didn't even have enough power to light up my brake lights. Then I went around a slight curve and voila, all my lights came back up to full power and my battery light turned off. So for the moment, it seems to be working fine again. This really concerns me as I have to drive so far every day for work. When I got home, I popped the hood and there wasn't any water anywhere, it was dry as a bone. The battery terminals looked fine as well.

Tonight I took it out for a short drive to see if it was still acting up and half way through my battery light started flickering again. Well I thought "I better boot it home" and I got a few blocks away when my car completely died in the middle of the street.

I quick jump fixed it for long enough that I could drive it home. I hear it could be something with the brushings... Can anyone explain to me what exactly brushings are? lol.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The belt might be slipping badly. But you may be in for a new alternator.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I had posted this in another thread but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention there so I thought I'd make it's own thread...

I had a problem today with my battery light... I was driving to work like I do every day (about a 30 minute commute) except today it was raining pretty steadily for the entire drive. I've driven in rain like this before and never had a problem. However, today, half way to work my battery light started flickering very lightly and fairly sporadically. I should mention that the entire time I've owned the car I've never once seen the battery light come on. Then it started flickering more and more. I got to work safely and didn't think twice about it. I kinda figured that some water got under the hood and was causing a little problem. In my old 93 Taurus I had a similar problem that occurred just about all the time with the flickering light and it never affected performance so I always just said meh.

Well, after work, I got back in the car and drove a bit and the light was flickering again. So later that night, I'm on my way back home and I notice my lights are really dim. So after a few more minutes, my ABS light comes on... Then a few more minutes my airbag light comes on. Now I'm starting to worry! So I turn off all my accessories and dim the panel lights down to low. The battery light is on solid now. I finally got to a point where I figured I better get off the highway and find a big parking lot to pull into just in case. My headlights were just about completely dead.

Well I got on the onramp and started to brake and noticed that my car didn't even have enough power to light up my brake lights. Then I went around a slight curve and voila, all my lights came back up to full power and my battery light turned off. So for the moment, it seems to be working fine again. This really concerns me as I have to drive so far every day for work. When I got home, I popped the hood and there wasn't any water anywhere, it was dry as a bone. The battery terminals looked fine as well.

Tonight I took it out for a short drive to see if it was still acting up and half way through my battery light started flickering again. Well I thought "I better boot it home" and I got a few blocks away when my car completely died in the middle of the street.

I quick jump fixed it for long enough that I could drive it home. I hear it could be something with the brushings... Can anyone explain to me what exactly brushings are? lol.
Probably time to start looking for an alternator. Test the output and see if it's within range.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Youre thinking of the alt. brushes. On the back of alt., need to remove 4 torx screws for voltage regulator, then remove 2 more for brushes. Available at most parts stores if this is your problem. I would get a free charging (elec. load) test first @ parts store.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dad seems to think it's not the alternator but a connection between the alternator and battery or another loose connection somewhere... I dunno, gonna get it tested tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts

First thing to always do is to clean the battery cable connections.
Make sure the ground wire to the engine block is also clean and
has good torque on the bolt.

Check your serp belt for crud in case you were leaking oil or had
a coolant leak that caused it to leak.

Many Taurus alternators have a small control wire that plugs into the
alternator. If this connector loses spring tension, the alternator will
erratically work or not charge at all. Find the small wire if you have
it and remove it. see if it seems to fit snug. if you have to, get some
contact cleaner and spray into it. If the spring connector inside of
it has lost tension, you will have to get a new pig tail replacement
and splice it in to repair.

you should also take your battery out and have it load checked at
a auto store to make sure you don't have an issue there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts