Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 3.0 Taurus Wagon. When I shift out of park the radio stops working, the electric windows fail and the electronic assist on the steering fails. Typically, it may take a few minutes to happen...and you can hear what sounds like a relay clicking. When the radio fails, it won't come back on until shifted to park. The power steering assist and windows seem to switch on and off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is the Neutral Selector Switch on top of the transaxle that seems to be a real problem on Gen 3 and later. Gives all sorts of goofy symptoms, apparently.

I'd start there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the MLP on top of the trans. Cost about $55.00 from Ford. Knock on wood, it seems to have solved the problem. I had previously changed the ignition switch with no difference in the situation.

Thanks to everyone for offering your suggestions. I'll let you know if the problem is truly solved.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by sameboy@Jul 3 2004, 07:57 AM
ok dumb ? what is the MLP
MLP - Manual Lever Position Sensor a.k.a. neutral safety switch

Its basically what tells the transmission what gear you have selected. According to consumer reports and MSN autos it is listed as a ocassional problem in gen3 tauri/sables.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
The RANGE sensor on top of the transmission is the problem. Replace it and you should be fine.

Adam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

After a more extensive road test...the MLP was absolutely the problem. The car runs fine now and all the wacky electrical problems are gone. The MLP is under the hood, at the end of the shift linkage...under the master cylinder. Very easy to replace. Took me about 15 minutes. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but my car does the SAME THING EXACTLY...

So the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH was the culprit??

Is there also a NEUTRAL selector switch or is this all the same thing??

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The manual lever position switch (MLP), range selector switch, and neutral safety switch, are all one in the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OKay...I got the neutral safety switch/neutral range sensor....I got the old one out...

But the new on calls for a range sensor alignment tool...What is this and do I really need it??

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I just replaced mine last week. Be sure to have the car in Neutral before changing out the switch. That is the lesson I learned. :huh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts