Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Mercury Sable station wagon. I'm having trouble with my windows getting stuck open or closed and when this happens there are no interior lights on in the car and they won't go on. If the car sits long enough, the windows will work and the lights will work.

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Check for broken wires or wires with damaged insulation in the Molex connector in the drivers door jam. Damaged wires in the Molex connector is a relatively common issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2004 occasionally has this issue. None of the windows will roll down and the interior lights are dead with the doors closed. There's a common relay (I think it's the power saver relay) that's built into the fuse box under the driver's side dashboard. I believe this relay sticks on my car. I've found that if I lightly tap the fuse box with my foot then the relay unsticks and my windows and lights work again.

This relay does not appear to be servicable, so it might require disassembling the fuse box and soldering. I'll fix mine one of these days when the problem becomes a big enough hassle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OP- Is it all the windows or just the drivers window? The drivers window has a 5 pin RELAY under the dash and can get stuck. When you use the auto-down feature you can hear the 'click' when the window opens. I had this relay get stuck and window would not close. I can get you more info it you confirm it is just the drivers window.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2004 occasionally has this issue. None of the windows will roll down and the interior lights are dead with the doors closed. There's a common relay (I think it's the power saver relay) that's built into the fuse box under the driver's side dashboard. I believe this relay sticks on my car. I've found that if I lightly tap the fuse box with my foot then the relay unsticks and my windows and lights work again.

This relay does not appear to be servicable, so it might require disassembling the fuse box and soldering. I'll fix mine one of these days when the problem becomes a big enough hassle.
The relay on mine (2007 taurus) that controls the drivers window just pulls out. I can't imagine they would design in a soldered relay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2003 Mercury Sable station wagon. I'm having trouble with my windows getting stuck open or closed and when this happens there are no interior lights on in the car and they won't go on. If the car sits long enough, the windows will work and the lights will work.
I have two 2000 Sable LS Premium wagons. Had fusebox/GEM troubles with both and replaced with 2003 fusebox/GEM and door handle keypad. Experienced your exact same problem with windows/lights but didn't try tapping as suggested by tsteves5. Can't recall if it was the fusebox or GEM.

Had a headlight problem related to the fusebox. I've picked up extras of fusebox/GEM at JY, tested them and keep known-good spares. Also keep spare Duratec ignition coils and sunload sensors. Now the umbilicals on the tailgate and doors are starting to get sketchy but otherwise dependable.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I cracked open fusebox (2000?) with auto-headlight failure. Internal photos attached. A lot more than just connectors and fuse holders.

Looks like a third PCB with SMT components between the two outer boards. Copper traces facing inward, soldered in oven. May be challenging to repair. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Half the time I start my 2004, no window buttons work for about a minute, then start working. Anyone have a fix?
--- Don't open the windows for 2 mins? -- (sorry, I couldn't resist)-

But a question. Is it a minute after starting engine, or a minute after you turn the key to start postion (regardless of engine state--running vs. not running)-- Same with ACC state?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I cracked open fusebox (2000?) with auto-headlight failure. Internal photos attached. A lot more than just connectors and fuse holders.

Looks like a third PCB with SMT components between the two outer boards. Copper traces facing inward, soldered in oven. May be challenging to repair. :)
Damm, those do indeed look like soldered on relays-- That sucks- may have replace entire board (like they do with a house furnace when one relay gets sticky)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts