Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this is abnormal, but I noticed a 5AMP fuse blown and I guess its been blown since I got the car, that or I messed up something putting the radio in, anyway, in the fusebox under the dash theres a fuse that reads "Gauges WRN LMPS" I believe. I replaced that fuse and without it the car will act fine, however with it in the car acts fine except when I go to put it in accessory the fuel pump comes on, so if I do it fast which I've been prone to do when parking while my girl friend goes shopping to listen to the radio, the car goes right off, and then back on because I do it to fast and the fuel pump is engaging in accessory.

The "Service Engine Soon Light", and all the little gauges that pop when the key is in the "On" position, and not started do not pop up unless I wait and let the car die completely after shutting it off, and then go to accessory in which case the car acts as if its in the "on" position, but still shows the gauges that shouldn't/should? show up if the car is just in accessory. When the car does stay running the rpms are at 0 as if its not, yet you can still rev the motor, but you cannot put it in gear.

I have my DRL Fuse pulled, because the module was going bad, and flickering all the time.

If the fuse 5AMP fuse I mentioned earlier is not in and taken out, the car doesn't do it at all, and yes the radio still works, just none of the dash rights come, nor does the fuel pump engage. What could be the deal here, and how can I fix it, or should I even try to, or is this normal?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I followed you until the second paragraph.

Are you sure you're putting in ACC? The ignition on Fords are quite different from a lot of cars:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
back toward you? Yes I am. When I had DRL they'd be on in the "ON" position, accessory they would not. I never noticed that fuse being blown till the DRL's went out, and I was trying to fix the blinking in them, and without doing research. So Yeah I am sure.

When you turn the car on the fuel pump kicks in, you can hear it before you crank it over to start, well the fuel pump is now also kicking in with the GAUGES, WRN LMP'S Fuse in, in accessory. If you turn it their real fast after its been running the car will kick off for a milisecond, and continue running. If you turn the car off and wait a second, then turn it to accessory the car will then show as if its in the on position rather accessory, you know how all the lights light up, and the fuel pump kicks in. It does that in accessory, except it will not let you drive the car like that, and the rpm gauge doesn't work. Understand now? Its hard for me to explain. Perhaps I'll take a video of it when I get the car back.

I am also very aware what Fords ignitions are like. I am a die hard Ford guy, and I refuse anything else. I own a 2008 Ford F450, and a 1999 Ford Expedition with a 4.6L P71 Interceptor in it, the ignition hole is damn near the same being its from the same year on the expedition, and accessory works just fine in it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Ok, just wanted to make sure. I've seen people not realize that ACC is turned back instead of forwards.

Sounds like maybe the ignition is shorting out into "On" instead of ACC. Try taking the column shroud off and see if the linkages or wiring is damaged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you smell anything burning? Wires? Sounds like a short. Someone could have put a higher amp fuse in one of the other slots that would allow more current to flow through the wiring than it was originally intended for. I would check to see that all of the fuses are for the correct amperage. Trace the 5 amp wire back and check for burns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts