Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

First time post on the board

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus with standard 3.0 engine.

Pretty much almost all options on the car if that matters.

Wife brought car home with little one. She went in house, and a few seconds later I smelt burning wiring. There was tons, and not an exageration of the amount of smoke rolling out from the drivers side front corner near the headlamp.

I looked underneath hood, and quickly disconnected battery to save my baby.

I have no idea what the part is, and the car still will start, and run fine, but must quickly take battery cable back off, after shutting car down.

Box Located above horn tucked into a tight spot on frame rail.
The wires run into the harness with horn wire, abs speed sensor, and some others up to the top of engine
The box has 4 wires (green/orange, black, purple/blue, and orange) from what I can make out. This box is leaking some brown ooze, and is melting.

This seems to be where the gremlin is living.

Any ideas on what it is, since I can't find a listing, and/or anyone who may know what it is.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I know on the Gen 3 Taurus the horns were spread across the front, one in each corner. I wonder if this is the DRL module? Do you have DRLs on your Taurus?

Reactions: Bigdogg2830

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know on the Gen 3 Taurus the horns were spread across the front, one in each corner. I wonder if this is the DRL module? Do you have DRLs on your Taurus?
Yes I do as a matter of fact, and I just found out that this may be what it is before I seen your answer.

You are good though.

I looked up smoke, with this location, and found complaints of Taurus car fire from the DRL,s melting, and then catching fire.

When I look at the location in regards to the wiring diagram online it looks like the correct location.

I know the daytime running lights will dim up and down on occassion, and I hope this is the problem

Any other way to make sure this is it before I yank the mess out of it's tight space?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay

I just seen a picture of the 1999 Taurus DRL on this site, and it is the one.

Since I just remembered that I do not need this option here in Michigan, and they have not worked in a few years.

Can I disable them the rest of the way?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yea you definitely wanna fix that. Yikes. OK, IIRC there is a way to disable the DRLs.

There is a fuse you can remove under the hood (in that power distribution box). I know your owner's manual will list which one it is. It is a 15 amp fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took out the 15amp at the location listed for the distribution box under the hood.

When the ignition turns on it starts smoking again.
So the ignition must have a hot wire also?

If I unhook the DRL module I will most likely have no headlights right?

Or is there another way around this useless item that has not worked in years?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I killed the gremlin.

A few had mentioned from different sources that if I unhooked the drl my lights would not work.

I took the chance, and went out there and snapped the DRL Module out of its tight hiding space without removing anything else.
Unplugged, and hooked battery back up, and the high and low beams along with everything else still works fine.

Special thanks to Bull Geek for his answers to my questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts