Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there hoping someone can give me their opinion on my problems.. Bought the car from my brother a few weeks back so I have a decent background on the vehicle...

2002 Taurus SES
24v Duratec..

When I bought the car from him he told me that it had a misfire that came and went, only problem.. at the time of purchase it was running mint, with a minor misfire when i let it get close to idle in OD(only very occasionally). When the misfire came back, the car was bucking like crazy, CEL came on... kept driving(had to get home) and it began flashing and reallllly bucking. Let car sit, started it up again and drove home and parked it. Check codes - P0301 P0303 Misfire Cylinder 1 & 3 or whatever..The next day I went to the junkyard and bought a used coil that looked to be in good condition. Swap the two coils, car starts up right away and runs better then ever.. old coil has corrosion in 3rd cylinder's whateveryamacallit... A few days later, bucking and everything returns, eventually car dies on me(on the home stretch.. p.o.s.), cranks wont start. Check codes - P0351 IGNITION SIGNAL COIL A FAULT... clear code, tow car home, get another coil, swap it in - nothing. No CEL illuminated now, cranks wont start.. I figure its the ECM but i'm not 100%... OPINIONS?!?!

Edit... car has no spark at all

·
Registered
51 Posts
o.k.. coil would be a good place to start..and you did it.
misfire can be caused by few different things..
check the cables,
did you check the fuel injectors of the two cylinders..??
and to check the fuel pressure of the whole system.
easiest thing is the fuel injector cleaners.
check the fuel filter, well.. just replace the filter. it ain't that much to do..
a little lower fuel pressure can do many weird things.. including the problem that you're having..most of cases can be the fuel pump.
can be electrical as well.. check grounds, make sure the spark plugs are allright, and
check them specially the one's that are giving you problems,.. cyl.1 and 3.
check the color of the spark plugs, make sure they are tight enough..etc.. it can guide you to right direction..

well.. let's see how these go first.. what do you think..??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have no spark at all now... I am fairly sure it is an electrical issue or the pcm is donezo.... how do I go about checking all the grounds and the harness and all that, I have a digital multimeter just a little confused on the process.

I figure since I replaced the coil and it was running fine and then it began misfiring again and now has no spark there is something sketchy going on with the electrical system...

also have no CEL illuminated, no codes thrown.. everything functions as it should, car cranks, can hear fuel pump prime itself...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would check the Ignition Control Module if you take it to most Auto Parts stores they can check it for you. Since you had corrosion that's where I would start and that would give you no Spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the ICM not integrated in the PCM on a taurus? so confused.... how do i go about checking the harness for shorts and such? Need to get this figured out..... I can get a new PCM if thats the case but I don't want to throw money at it without a proper diagnosis. I don't have money to take it to a shop, I have a digital volt/ohm meter just unsure how to set it and use it and which pins to test on the harness... CAN ANYONE HELP ME!.....

PS.. I have no CEL on while cranking the car, I am completely stumped... no codes, no spark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried to switch around relays and such with no success as well... I'm almost 100% its the pcm or a wiring issue but I am unsure how to go about checking for shorts/wires grounding out. Can someone give me a detailed description on how to do so.. theres like 20 different settings on my multimeter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts