Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have searched high and low and have yet to find an answer to my current issue. I drive an 04 Ford Taurus SES, DOHC Duratec engine. First, an intermittent issue--sometimes when I first start the car the window switches will not work for about ten seconds, for ALL four windows. I think it might be the same for the passenger side as well. It is maddening.

This might be unrelated, but in January the horn and cruise control both stopped working. Upon replacing the fuses, they blow immediately. According to the last mechanic I went to, the fuse that powers the port for checking engine codes was also blown. I am thinking this might be the clock spring?

It is all especially maddening because I am not a mechanic. However, I am seeking some advice from other Taurus owners who might have experienced the same problems.

Thanks all for any input!

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
Window issue is likely a broken wire in the Molex connector in the driver side door jam. Relatively common issue.

If you think the clock spring is causing the fuses to blow, disconnect the clockspring electrical connector and see if the fuse(s) still blow. I have never heard of a damaged clockspring blowing fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Window issue is likely a broken wire in the Molex connector in the driver side door jam. Relatively common issue.

If you think the clock spring is causing the fuses to blow, disconnect the clockspring electrical connector and see if the fuse(s) still blow. I have never heard of a damaged clockspring blowing fuses.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. If the clock spring isn't the culprit of repeatedly blown fuses, any other ideas? I really miss my horn and cruise control. Thanks in advance for any ideas and input!

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
If the clockspring isnt the issue (which I doubt), time to get a set of wiring diagrams (check Ebay) and start tracing down circuits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Jeff K
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing