Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a few questions about the Force Flow X4 Brushless Electronic Supercharger (http://www.force-flow.com/default.aspx).After doing tons of research, most peple say this is a scam I guess that they assume its like the cheap ebay superchargers.However this unit is not cheap.It would cost me $700 for a entire kit and the unit.Has anyone on here heard about this product or knows if it actually works or not? The website seems legit and to me it doesn't seem like a scam considering all the information they have listed for their products.So if someone could get back to me about this product I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is a member on Ranger Power Station that is running an electric supercharger, performance wise, it isn't worth it. The electric supercharger is incapable of compressing the air charge, it just flows more air than stock. Due to that, you can't expect any tangible amount of performance from an electric supercharger, you may see 2 PSI of boost.

Given the $700 budget, I would rather spend that on a junkyard turbo and remote mount it and get some real performance.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just read up on forceflow's website. It says between 4%-10% gains, which, if are accurate, will net you a whopping 5-14 hp. A 10% increase is what you'd probably see on a 1.6L I4 that breathes very poorly stock. A V6 that displaces 3L actually sucks in a lot of air, so 5hp is probably the realistic limit that you'd see from this, and that's if you didn't take off your restrictor cone already. You'd probably be getting the same power gains from the cone removal and K&N panel filter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
At best 5HP... but don't count on it.

Like someone else said, the "fan" is incapable of compressing the air, and therefor will only put in as much as there are "gaps" to fill. At WOT, I can't expect much a difference as I doubt those fans will spin at a high enough RPM to see any change, the first two look like plastic fans (really? I could see those breaking and see shards flying into your intake.. bad bad bad)

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I think we need a sticky on this topic that come up fairly often titled something like "Electric superchargers dont work and are a total waste on money".

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, and I mean, thinking about it further, if the electric "fan" is not rated for your type of car, meaning your car sucks more air than the fan outputs (CFM related), then your car is actually putting it some work to move the fan blade faster, which actually will hurt your performance (not noticably though).

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Plus the turbulence from the fan will likely mess with MAF readings. The power drain is huge. In order to get any gains the motor would be large, and would likely draw more power than your alternator can produce, meaning you would need 2 or more high output alternators, which put a parasitic load on the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, thanks guys..I really appreciate the reply.I wasn't expecting radical changes in hp, I would of been happy with anything over 10 hp.So moving away from the electric supercharger, what could I do for a decent amount of power? By the way the budget is $1,000-1,500 and the car is a 93 GL.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Alright, thanks guys..I really appreciate the reply.I wasn't expecting radical changes in hp, I would of been happy with anything over 10 hp.So moving away from the electric supercharger, what could I do for a decent amount of power? By the way the budget is $1,000-1,500 and the car is a 93 GL.
Just as I said before, a junkyard turbo, or even with that budget, you could afford a rebuilt turbo, remote mount it just after the y-pipe. Purchase a scavenge pump for proper oil feed/return and plumb your turbo. Even with stock wastegate springs, you should see between 4 to 8 PSI depending on where the turbo came from. At those low pressures, tuning would still be recommended, but not necessarily required, and would blow the water out of your "over 10 HP" gain you are looking for.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I am sure it still be mounted in the engine bay and still work. I doubt it can be done for that much and be a good reliable setup. Tuning will be hardest since there is not much in the way of options for that Generation.

There are UDP available: SHO Source Vulcan Under Drive Pulley

We can also help with aported intake as well.

Though if you have that much you could just buy a SHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i want to buy a electric supercharger were it is avtivated by a switch at full throttle and i was wondering if it would be possible to romove that switch install a toggle switch and just turn it on and off like that.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I case you haven't been paying attention, this is a worthless mod. So let me get this straight, you want a switch that puts an electrical load on the engine when you go WOT?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts