Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our '02 wagon is once again causing problems.

This morning, while cleaning out the car, my wife moved the (electric) driver's seat forward to get stuff out from under it. Now the seat will only go back so far, then it stops. No grinding or other odd noise, it just stops as if it has reached the limit of its travel. It goes up and down fine, and all the way forward, but it will only go back a couple of inches before it stops, and even then it's too close to the steering wheel for my wife's diminutive 4'11" stature.

I cannot find any debris on the tracks, and the gears (what I could see of them) look fine.

Any ideas?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Our '02 wagon is once again causing problems.

This morning, while cleaning out the car, my wife moved the (electric) driver's seat forward to get stuff out from under it. Now the seat will only go back so far, then it stops. No grinding or other odd noise, it just stops as if it has reached the limit of its travel. It goes up and down fine, and all the way forward, but it will only go back a couple of inches before it stops, and even then it's too close to the steering wheel for my wife's diminutive 4'11" stature.

I cannot find any debris on the tracks, and the gears (what I could see of them) look fine.

Any ideas?
Sounds like something is catching or binding under the seat. I'm not sure how an electrical problem would cause that, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been debating if there is a faulty limit switch or something, but I don't see any under there. I can't see all of the seat track assembly from any angle, so it is not outside of the realm of possibility that there IS something stuck. I'm going to have to pull the seat tomorrow morning (in the cold), and I HATE to work on a car on Sunday. I always tend to break things.

T_swensen: Yeah, I've tried that. More than a few times. My results were a lot like what happens when you try to teach a pig to sing. :glare:

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
T_swensen: Yeah, I've tried that. More than a few times. My results were a lot like what happens when you try to teach a pig to sing. :glare:
Well, I certainly hope that it didn't start to oink or you might have an entirely different problem! :lol2:

Seriously though, I would unbolt the seat and lean it back while trying it to see what the problem is. You can always get the power rack from a car in a salvage yard if it has a real problem. (mine attaches to the seat with four bolts)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.