Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We recently inherited my father-in-laws 2001 Mercury Sable. The car is great & Dad really took very good care of his baby.
I went through a car wash the other day & forgot to turn off the radio (as I had turned it down while my wife was on the cell phone. Well, the antenna was bent by the washing brushes & now will not retract all the way.

1) I need to know whether I would be able to change this out myself. (Not a mechanic, but can change a light bulb)
2) Can just the antenna be changed or does it have to be the motor unit as well? I have emailed the local dealer for a price for a new antenna, but hope I may be able to find a salvaged one.
Any & all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
A little confusing -- there's a procedure for replacing the mast in my 98 Ford Workshop Manual, but none in my 04 FWM.

Anyway, if the mast is replaceable, you remove the nut and the stanchion at the fender mount (stanchion = trim piece around the nut). The mast and its length of flexible plastic gear apparently are one assembly.

Then you turn on the radio and let the antenna run right out of the tube. Note which way the teeth on the flexible gear is facing.

Take your new mast + gear and insert it as far as it will go, then turn off the radio to draw it back in. Replace the nut and stanchion and you should be all set.

If you have to replace the entire antenna, motor and all, in 04 you have to remove the audio units in the trunk. (This is after you remove the trunk liner on the driver side.) Then it's just a couple of mounting bolts and you take the antenna down and out. You might have to clip or hacksaw your bent antenna, although you probably can maneuver it out without cutting it off.

For the removable mast + gear, if you're using junkyard parts, obviously you'll need a battery and a couple of connectors to get the donor mast to extend up and out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not really a big deal that you bent the mast, because the 8 year old the nylon gear tape drive was probably on it's way out anyway. You can pick up a Metra replacement mast assembly at your local auto parts store for about $15 buck's. You may be able to use Old Wagons easy method, but think it's a good idea to open things up and give it a fresh lube.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts