Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My fan only comes on when the ac is on. Does anyone know where the temperature sensor for the fan is? I'd like to test it. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
PCM uses ECT input to determine when to run the fan, as well as many other engine functions. There is no seperate sender just for the fan turn on. The only other temp sensor operates the temp gauge only.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PCM uses ECT input to determine when to run the fan, as well as many other engine functions. There is no seperate sender just for the fan turn on. The only other temp sensor operates the temp gauge only.
well then, having been told that (and that's what I assumed as well) what would cause the fan not to engage? The car will sit there and the temp will go well pass the middle and the fan wont engage. The fan engages with the ac and the temp stay in the middle. Something I need to look into.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
well then, having been told that (and that's what I assumed as well) what would cause the fan not to engage? The car will sit there and the temp will go well pass the middle and the fan wont engage. The fan engages with the ac and the temp stay in the middle. Something I need to look into.
The fans are set to come on @215 to 220. With the AC on and the fans on all of the time the temp comes down.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Dont know if you have access to low speed fan relay on an 89? If so, check it out. Iirc, there is a low speed fan dropping resistor in pass. fender well. If so, check it out too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There should be 2 switches/sensors plus the relay. On an 89, the one sensor/switch has a screw terminal - this one runs the guage/idiot light.

The other is a clip on with 2 pins. Generally, if nothing else is wrong, when you pull the plug off the pinned sensor, the fan will go on.

Both are usually near the thermostat housing, the pinned one generally is black. I don't have access to an 89 to take a picture, but if you go napaonline.com or rockauto.com and search for "Coolant Temperature Sensor" and drill down to your car you can get a good idea what it looks like from the pictures of the sensor in the catalog.

Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know about the dual sensor setup. What kind of ohms/volts should I he seeing from this sensor? I will check it out and take some photos. I thank you for the help you hVe been more than helpful.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Is lo-speed fan relay locked in an ircm or ccrm on an 89? If so, you may have to replace with an identical unit. Dont forget to check lo-speed fan dropping resistor in pass. fender well.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Gen 2 has a IRCM that has fuel pump, PCM, hi/lo fan and AC relays in it. Not sure if the gen 1 has IRCM or not. I do know the fan is a true 2 speed fan (3 wire), no dropping resistor like gen 3.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gen 2 has a IRCM that has fuel pump, PCM, hi/lo fan and AC relays in it. Not sure if the gen 1 has IRCM or not. I do know the fan is a true 2 speed fan (3 wire), no dropping resistor like gen 3.
So does that mean if I unplug the engine temp sensor and the fan does not come on then I have a bad relay? So there is no resistor for this model? Well I was putting high hopes on that resistor. Lol. Alright guys, guess it's time to do some troubleshooting. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I do believe this is the sender I am trying to look for. I haven't done any testing yet as I was at work today, but I was looking at it and one of the locking tabs have been broken off. So maybe someone else was doing some investigative work before I owned this car.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
If you unplug the ect, the fan(s) should come on. If it does not, i would inspect wiring, connectors, and replace ect.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Ect has 2 wires, dash sender 1. As i stated earlier, if the lo-speed fan relay is not accessible(replaceable), you will have to r&r ircm(ccrm) with matched unit if relay is at fault and contained within.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you unplug the ect, the fan(s) should come on. If it does not, i would inspect wiring, connectors, and replace ect.
Will the fans come on even if the car is off?
Ect has 2 wires, dash sender 1. As i stated earlier, if the lo-speed fan relay is not accessible(replaceable), you will have to r&r ircm(ccrm) with matched unit if relay is at fault and contained within.
Well two questions then. If I were to have a separate relay, it would be in the passenger fender area? And where is the CCRM located?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I unplugged that sensor, and nothing happened. And now the fan didn't come on when I turned the AC on. Possibly a bad CCRM right?

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
I am not sure where(or if it even has one) the ircm is on an 89. On 96-97s it is between the batt. and l.f. fender. Yes, car must be on with ect unplugged for fan to run unless 89 is diff. Are you sure the fan motor didnt take a crap? I would prob. replace ect & if that didnt do it, move on to fan relay(ircm) providing fan motor is good. good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts