Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Electric Fan

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  dark_fire 
#1 ·
Is there a way to make one of the fans to come on when car is in run condition. I'm installing a larger after market trans cooler. I do a lot of city driving. I will install cooler in front of the fan. I do not want to put it on a switch. Thinking about a motorcycle fan

#3 ·
QUOTE (sweet98sho @ May 1 2009, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722202
Is there a way to make one of the fans to come on when car is in run condition. I'm installing a larger after market trans cooler. I do a lot of city driving. I will install cooler in front of the fan. I do not want to put it on a switch. Thinking about a motorcycle fan[/b]
Depending on your year and if you have a two speed fan, you can hot wire the switch lead to the CCRM module to make the fan turn on.
This way, you don't have to add a high current relay or heavy wiring.

bob

#4 ·
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 1 2009, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722209
You can install a switch that will turn on either the low or high speed fans. Or you could just have the EATC in an AC mode.[/b]
I've been trying to figure out which relay to apply power/ground to (if its a switched ground). I have the fancy 98+ relay box instead of the CCRM.

#5 ·
The previous owner of my 95 SHO did this, theres a bunch of ~12 gauge wire running around and a relay, the wires go from the sensor on the crossover tube to im not even sure where. All I know is, as soon as I turn the key to the run position, the fan turns on.

#6 ·
All you need to do is ground the relay coil. No heavy current or large wire needed. Just tap into the existing wire and run it through a switch. Ground one side of the switch.

For the '98 high speed fan it would be the Light Green/Pink wire at the underhood relay box.

I've got a small LED wired into my switched high speed fan circuit. The LED is hot in run and when the fan relay coil is grounded the LED turns on. This way you have visual confirmation.

#7 ·
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 17 2009, 11:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725788
All you need to do is ground the relay coil. No heavy current or large wire needed. Just tap into the existing wire and run it through a switch. Ground one side of the switch.

For the '98 high speed fan it would be the Light Green/Pink wire at the underhood relay box.

I've got a small LED wired into my switched high speed fan circuit. The LED is hot in run and when the fan relay coil is grounded the LED turns on. This way you have visual confirmation.[/b]
Thanks, got my jumper wire hooked up and it works. Two things though.
On my 98, the wire was a Green/Purple, no big deal there.
2nd, There doesn't appear to be too much of a difference between the low speed and high speed fans. I know both relays are doing their job, as I can pull the low speed relay and kick the A/C and the fans won't run, and then ground out the highspeed anytime and it works. There just seems to be no difference between the low and highspeed. I was expecting the normal for low speeds and like screaming/going to fly apart for the highspeed.

Also, will it hurt to have the lowspeed and highspeed on at the same time? I wouldn't think so..

#8 ·
When the fans come on due to the AC it is the high speed fan. The low speed fan is only controlled by the ECT and will come on at ~215F. Why would you want the low and high speed fans on at the same time? Looking for a medium speed? (Note this will not happen)

#9 ·
I do a lot of city driving. Without switches, what I would like to do when in traffic, when I have my foot on break the fan(s) come on and when foot is off break the fan(s) go off but I would like to keep it stock, meaning that the fans would work just like they came from factory, on and off from the factor sensor.

#11 ·
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 17 2009, 02:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725823
When the fans come on due to the AC it is the high speed fan. The low speed fan is only controlled by the ECT and will come on at ~215F. Why would you want the low and high speed fans on at the same time? Looking for a medium speed? (Note this will not happen)[/b]
How come when I pull the low speed fan relay which is located in the engine compartment fuse box, the rad fans don't kick on when the AC is turned on? But when I pull the Highspeed fan relay out of the relay box next to the battery, it has no effect on the rad fans when the AC is turned on? Also, if the car is idled with no A/C on to the point where the rad fans kick in, and the A/C is turned on, there is no change in fan speed. That would imply that something is wired wrong, considering that the A/C runs the high speed fans.

I also tried turning the A/C on, and then grounded out the high speed fan relay for a second. There was a considerable increase in fan speed.

Edit: The rad fans are commanded on for the first time at 207F, there is no difference when AC is engaged.

#16 ·
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 17 2009, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725949
The above shows you only have a one speed fan.[/b]
Yea, saw that in the picture :huh:
So even though I have 3 wire fans, they're wound 1 speed(high) only? And the highspeed fan relay hasn't done anything until today when I made it work for the first time ever?

I didn't know they even had such a beast. Any reason or was it one of ford's one off wonders....

Add that to the list of oddities that this frankentaurus has.
Has:
Pretty sure I have VAPS(there is a servo/wires and connector hooked to what appears to be part of the rack under the cruise control module)
ABS and 4 wheel disc brakes
One power driver seat
Fairly rare blue interior
Actual center console(no flipfold 3rd seat) in matching blue
Lacks:
No keyless(Fobs) entry module

#17 ·
QUOTE (dark_fire @ May 17 2009, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725961
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 17 2009, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725949
The above shows you only have a one speed fan.[/b]
Yea, saw that in the picture :huh:
So even though I have 3 wire fans, they're wound 1 speed(high) only? And the highspeed fan relay hasn't done anything until today when I made it work for the first time ever?

[/b][/quote]

I think its cost cutting.

My 96 GL has dual speed fans.

#19 ·
QUOTE (sweet98sho @ Jul 29 2009, 06:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=742948
I'v noticed that there are 2 fuses/relays for high and low speeds. So do i have 2 speed fans?[/b]
I have fuses and relays for both speeds, but it only uses one.... Have to check the engine code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.