Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a question about the EGR valve. I'm wanting to remove it and clean it out, as the last time my OBD-II was read it threw an insufficient EGR flow code. The two bolts holding it on are super tight and rusted. Is that normal? What do you suggest to remove them with? Is an adjustable wrench going to be enough? The Haynes manual did not help one bit with this one, as my EGR valve and intake manifold looks NOTHING like the Sable Vulcan they used for the pictures.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the code was P0401 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected), you probably have a bad DPFE sensor. This is a very common problem with the Taurus.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, ok, I do remember that sensor going bad, but I never got a clear answer whether the two were related... the sensor and the code. So no need to remove the EGR valve?

·
Registered
56 Posts
First thing first...

Before replacing EGR valve, you have to check it first. Insuffucient flow may be caused by not opening valve, clogged passage in plenum, insufficient vacuum from solenoid or DPFE sensor may be bad as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, sounds good. I was gonna pull 'er off and check and reseat with a new gasket just to make sure, but it sounds like there's no problem then. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts