Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a check engine light so I got the code read. Says EGR valve is stuck open. I bought a new one (and gasket) for a good price. Disconnected the vacuum hoses and tried to take off the retaining bolts, but they are completely rusted and stuck on. I broke two sockets trying to get them off.

SOS!

Really don't want to bring it to a mechanic when it's a simple part to replace. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Stuck open? So your can won't idle, and just dies when you let off the gas?

What is the number of the code?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Did you try spraying a bunch of PB Blaster on them and let them sit awhile?? I've never had to work on the EGR valve so I'm unsure as to the amount of room there is...but can you fit an impact wrench in there? They help breaking loose stuck bolts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone has suggested I get liquid wrench and apply it every night for 2 weeks. I'll go try it.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
First, make sure your EGR problem is indeed the EGR and not the DPFE, the failure of which accounts for 99% of EGR codes -- specifically, P0401 and a couple others in the P04XX range of numbers.

If your car idles OK, but hesitates and/or feels as though it's missing on acceleration, that's a symptom of a fried DPFE. Once it's fried, the control unit thinks there's a problem with the EGR valve.

The DPFE is a breeze to replace compared to the EGR itself.

A second test is to apply vacuum directly to the fitting at the top of the EGR while the engine is idling. You use a vacuum pump or a jury-rigged vacuum line directly from the manifold vacuum tree. Don't allow any of the vacuum source nipples to be open to the atmosphere or the test is not accurate.

If the car dies, the EGR is not stuck open and is operating correctly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the DPFE and where do I find it?

The code specifically read for the EGR stuck open.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
What's the code number? Does your car idle? If it does, the EGR valve is NOT open.

Meanwhile, on the 98 Vulcan (and I think the 99 is the same), the DPFE is a rectangular gray or black box mounted up on the upper intake manifold. In the following diagram, for some reason the artist has decided to draw it from a point of view that is below the engine -- you're looking at the underside of the UIM. The DPFE ("backpressure transducer") is visible between the UIM and the wiper cowl on the passenger side.
[attachment=29034:dpfe.jpg]

On my 04, the DPFE is mounted just to the side of the EGR valve (an inch or so toward the passenger side) and is measurably harder to get at.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I'll bet the code was excessive EGR flow, which would be the DPFE

To test the EGR, attach a piece of hose to it and suck on it while the car is idling, the idle will change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it said excessive flow. So the guy sold me a new valve. Is that wrong? How do I fix this?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
First, run the diagnostic -- apply suction or vacuum to the fitting at the top of the EGR while the car is idling. If as 00tec-saTX says, the idle changes (always in my case, the engine dies), then your EGR is fine and you can take it back and collect your money.

As for the DPFE, you buy a new one, take off the old one (remove electrical connector, carefully pry off the two special silicone tubes) and install the new one.

At the dealer, the part is $60 to 80, I think, haven't asked lately.

At Rock Auto, the unit runs from about $40 to about $70 depending on brand, plus S&H, less the discount code, which you can find in a sticky in the Vendor and Group Buys section: http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15216

Or, you can go to a pick and pay boneyard and find one that looks new and cough up $5-10... but it will be pot luck as to whether it works, since the DPFE fails so often.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car does idle. In fact I can't tell there is a single problem other than the check engine light being on. So perhaps the valve is fine and it's the DPFE instead.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (bstone @ Apr 2 2009, 08:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714818
The car does idle. In fact I can't tell there is a single problem other than the check engine light being on. So perhaps the valve is fine and it's the DPFE instead.[/b]
That's the situation I had on our 94 - there was no drivability problem until weeks after the light first came on. For the first few weeks, the light would cycle on, then off, then on, about 12 seconds apart. Other than that, there was no problem driving or idling.

Finally it came on all the time, and acceleration would be hesitant, almost like driving over waves of pavement. Ford describes this as "trailer hitching," as though you were towing a trailer that somehow was loose-ish behind you. At that point, I had Autozone read the code (P0401, or rather the equivalent for OBDI), did a search here and, did the vacuum diagnosis on the EGR itself -- it was fine -- then found the joys of Ford DPFEs.

I went to a local pick and pay and relieved 4 Gen2 Taurii of their DPFEs for a total of $7 ($2 yard fee + $5 for the 4 sensors). First one I tried worked fine. On the 94, the DPFE just snaps into a sheetmetal carrier. I refused to part with $40-80 for a unit that has never been engineered correctly... though I hear the Gen4 units last much longer... hope so, we just got a new-to-us Gen4.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so it seems tomorrow I will return the EGR valve and pick up a DPFE. This begs the question- which DPFE.

Since I am currently have no noticeable issues I don't need to rush out and get the part. Thus I would enjoy to know that I am investing my money, not just buying another part.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (bstone @ Apr 2 2009, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714825
This begs the question- which DPFE.[/b]
One for your year and engine. The Rock Auto catalog is set up by marque, year, model, and engine (if you have the Vulcan, it's 3.0 engine code U). Ford, or more likely its contractor(s), went through several revisions of design over the years. The one on my 04 is way different from the 94 design.

Frankly, if I were engineering a sensor meant to tell that the EGR is working or not working, I'd use a thermal sensor on the EGR valve housing where it enters the manifold. Sharp heat rise = EGR working just fine, thank you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Apr 2 2009, 09:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714827
QUOTE (bstone @ Apr 2 2009, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714825
This begs the question- which DPFE.[/b]
One for your year and engine. The Rock Auto catalog is set up by marque, year, model, and engine (if you have the Vulcan, it's 3.0 engine code U). Ford, or more likely its contractor(s), went through several revisions of design over the years. The one on my 04 is way different from the 94 design.

Frankly, if I were engineering a sensor meant to tell that the EGR is working or not working, I'd use a thermal sensor on the EGR valve housing where it enters the manifold. Sharp heat rise = EGR working just fine, thank you.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, so there isn't a specific make or model which is superior to others? Just don't want to spend a few dollars for a lousy part when another few dollars gets a far superior one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am looking at the Rock Auto catalog for the "EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor" and I see:

1999 FORD TAURUS 3.0L 182cid V6 FI (U) : Emission : EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # VP8T More Info {TRU-TECH #VP10T}
TRU-TECH

$38.79
Add to Cart

AIRTEX Part # 5S2049 More Info

$51.79 $0.00 $51.79

MOTORCRAFT Part # DPFE15 {Bolt-on Mounting #F77Z9J460AB}
OHV; F7UE-9J460AA,F77E-9J460AB
DOHC; F77E-9J460AB

$66.79 $0.00 $66.79

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # VP8 More Info {EGR VALVE POSITION SENSOR #VP10, VP9}

$68.79 $0.00 $68.79

So, which one?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Misunderstood what you were asking -- I have no idea, sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Heh - yes, that's the part, but I meant that of the several choices for different brands (Tru-Tech, Airtex, Motorcraft, etc.), I wouldn't know which to choose. Probably just the cheapest.

Unless you're thinking the list is for different part types. They are all brands of sensors that theoretically fit perfectly, are interchangeable, and do their DPFE duty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent. I ordered the least expensive part with the discount code. I'll return the valve tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts